Burying food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burying food?

KLM

DefaultBurying food?

It seems that Jake has taken to burying/hiding some of his food in the yard. He eats outside and most of the time we are not to far off and can see what he is eating or not eating. But sometimes when he has a RMB or a treat like a rawhide (or anything he has to work at) apparently he is burying them. When we are out in the yard and get near a spot he's buried something he'll go get it and move it to a new location! I'm usuing the word "bury" loosly here because it really is just under leaves or pinestraw. The only place he has actually dug is in our garden (which is currently empty) but the soil is very loose there. We have cut back what we are giving him and are monitoring him better now that we realize how much stuff he's hidden. Is this all normal? Does it mean he's getting too much to eat? Or is it just instinct to do this? He came to us an abandoned,starving puppy so we wonder if he is just making sure he has a supply...

I'm new to dog ownership so I'm still learning all the ins and outs of correctly raising a puppy!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Burying food?

I think it's normal. We do not let Elias outside with bones or chewy's of any kind because he will bury them. It's the only thing he will bury.
    He also tries to bury them in the house, which is quite funny!

We had a beagle years ago that would bury her treats. We never thought it was a problem ... just a funny habit?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LOL; Dutch used to do that inside when they got cows ears. He always rather be with me than have a treat, so I would find cows ears tucked behind the seat cushions of the chairs. He was funny; he would sit and bark at me when I was in the chair and I thought he was being a PITA. He wanted me to move so he could recover his treasure! ;D

Tuck does that INSIDE. I have to check the laundry, the clean clothes, chairs, pots and pans, under furniture, kids toy boxes, and onetime the fridge for her treats and food. :-\

KLM

Ok, good to know it is normal!!

Samson is offline Senior Member

I used to take Jasper to work with me a few years ago

The guys on the construction site would give him a sandwich which he would proceed to bury.

He was only about 1 year old then and he doesn't do it now ! He has learned the true meaning of food

I had a german shorthaired pointer years ago who would bury the big biscuits in the pillows of the couch. He would eat the little ones. When I would run out of little ones I would go through the couch for the big ones and he would be looking at me, hey! those are mine! and then eat them.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Bella always buries raw hides. We don't give them to her, but she manages to find them and pick them up during our walks on occasion. I am convinced that she does it to let them soften up. She buries them well and lets them "ripen" for several weeks (in the rainy season) to several months (during the drier part of the year).

We may forget about them, but she doesn't. One day she's be in the back and we'll see her eating a very pliable hunk of raw hide. We'll let her eat a fair amount of it before taking the rest away from her. She definitely chews it up well while eating it, but don't want to have too much.

Bella

Cierra my BR fox hound is a big time burier of things just not food. The other day she hid the destuffed llama toy Cinnamon left in my mum's van between the seat. The next day she went and got it out. She always hides her night night biscuit and then in the middle of the night gets up and goes and eats it. She doesn't hide kibble or anything. We had some problems because she would hide treats here at my house and then guard them if Cinnamon got to close (most of the time just walking by). We broke her of the habit of guarding...now if Cinnamon finds it she gets to eat it. But then again Cierra comes in and can eat any of the bones or bully sticks Cinnamon leaves around....we have taught them both if you don't eat it right away it is fair game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast