therapy dog training???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: therapy dog training???

Defaulttherapy dog training???

Anyone know how to start looking into this? I know Desi is too "green", but I think she'd do well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: therapy dog training???

Send a pm to buddysmom; she once had a list of states that might help you out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

check your local kennel club or lab club. That is where I got Rider certified.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Cool, thanks. 8) I don't really know anything about it, but I've volunteered in nursing homes and they seem like they could use a bit of cheer! Help a dog and a person. Dani--what was the process like? Thanks.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I've had a hard time finding classes. I finally met up with the Director at UCLA who runs their animal program and now have my name in for their next class. It starts hopefullly next month. The requirements are very similar to the CGC, but neither Delta or TDI will accept that. If you google Delta or TDI you should find the websites and then you can do searches for what is in your area. I spent a lot of time looking for organizations because there just wasn't anything locally that I could find. You might find a group that you can work with.

Also check with the SPCA in your area. I know that Orange County Calif. has classes and a group that you can join. They were just too far for me.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

All good ideas. I can also try UC Davis..we're very close to them, and they have a world class vet program.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dakkerdog
    The requirements are very similar to the CGC, but neither Delta or TDI will accept that.
    This is true however if your option is to do nothing until you find a place to train or doing something, I would get enrolled in obedience and earn your CGC NOW!!! The TDI test is very similar to the CGC with some special added exercises geared towards wheelchairs etc. So if you can pass the CGC with flying colors, the rest of the training you'll need will just be like icing on the cake.

ILoveBuddy is offline Senior Member

Buddy is a registered therapy dog. We went through our city parks and recreation department for certification classes here in Arizona. We are registered through Therapy Dogs, Inc. We first went to Basic and Intermediate Obedience classes, when our instructor asked us to think about therapy work because of Buddy's good nature ;D

We thoroughly enjoy working with children in special reading programs at elementary schools and visiting nursing homes. It is very rewarding and there is a big need for it! The love our labs bring is very comforting!

zgirls is offline Senior Member

We received our training through our local SPCA Education program 5 years ago......after mentoring with another team, Zoe and I were placed at our local VA Hospital....we go on a regular basis to the Post Traumatic Stress Ward....it is a perfect place for her because we found she did not like to visit people who were in bed...somehow the hospital beds unnerved her..she does much better when we go into activity rooms....good luck.....we have found it very rewarding......
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast