Would you consider a third dog?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you consider a third dog?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultWould you consider a third dog?

I´ve been offered a collie puppy (I can choose either girl or boy, only two left) from a friend here at the office, that has to travel next week with his wife and needs urgently to place the pups.

They have both parents and bred them because they wanted to have puppies once (you know, the "typical" I want to breed them once in their lifetime family). I would never buy a dog bred in this situation, but considering the pups need a good home, I told him I would think about it.

I always wanted a collie, I love the breed but honestly know very little about it because they are very rare here in Mexico, however from what I´ve researched they seem to be wonderful dogs.

What would you do? I already lived with 3 dogs before (a dane and 2 labs) but all were girls. Would you get the boy or the girl? Homer is a very dog friendly dog (both with males and females), Misha is a bit more dominant with females but has never gotten into trouble with any of my friends´girls.

The other thing that worries me is that Homer is recovering from his elbows surgery, and even though he´s doing great I´m afraid of introducing a new distraction right now (he´s not allowed to rump or run yet)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Collies need a massive amount of exercise and intelligent play !

If you can guarantee lots of interaction and exercise then I say go for it !

If not then pass

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

We have three I guess it just depends on what all you like to do with them if it's a good idea. It's difficult to walk 3 at one time (for me at least) but two is ok. Of course it's more food, prevenitive meds, vet bills, etc.
    From what I know collie's are smart but need a lot of exercise and stimulation.
    I love all my dogs but it was easier with just 2.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

I consider it everyday! But I agree with Samson. Do a little research on collies. They need tons and tons of exercise. You'll probably have your little puppy herding your labs! Collies are beautiful dogs.

labby is offline Senior Member

Collies have eye problems along with the normal hip/elbow/etc. Unless the parents have been checked, I wouldn't.

Plus they need massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of grooming.

Laura

Felix is offline Senior Member

No .. Iam not even thinking about a second one. Because Laika is just one very dominating female Labrador. So, the other dog should realy stand stady on his or her legs will she can face Laika

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I've boarded two different collies - one rough and one smooth - and their barks can peel paint. They are LOUD, shrill and LOUD. they bark when they play, when they are excited, when they hear a noise, when the moon is in saturn...

I'm not fond of barky dogs, and will never have a collie or sheltie for that reason

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

If the 3rd dog was a Collie, then no, I definitely would not consider it.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Collies have eye problems along with the normal hip/elbow/etc. Unless the parents have been checked, I wouldn't.

Plus they need massive and I mean MASSIVE amounts of grooming.
    I didn't know about the eye problems, but I do know about the grooming. You think Labs shed and need brushing? TIMES TEN! That beautiful coat will mat very quickly and very badly if not taken care of daily.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Anne is offline Senior Member

My grandparents always had Collies. Wonderful dogs, all of them.

Having said that, I (personally) would be wary of the health issues/advice you have been given. IF you are willing to take on the risk. Why not.

But, to answer your question re: 3 dogs. Adding a third really does add a new perspective to the family dynamic. I always consider myself "handicapped" by the fact that I have 3 dogs...and only 2 hands. Though, I must say that I have never once regretted adding a 3rd.

Good luck with your decision.

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast