Results of Bodie's allergy testing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of Bodie's allergy testing

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultResults of Bodie's allergy testing

He started chewing his feet in Sept/Oct so took him to the vet in Oct. They gave him an antihistimine shot and some pills and he was good til Dec. Started chewing again so took him in on Dec. 10 for allergy testing. Just got the results today:

weeds, trees, and grass (we will pick up a more specific listing when we go in)

Wonderful. : Our poor little Boo. They are ordering the allergy shots (approx. $150), which I think SU Neil will give to him (Neil has experience giving shots to horses). Bodie's stopped chewing his feet, and has taken to licking his front legs which isn't as bad as the chewing. I'm wondering if it's a seasonal thing.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Results of Bodie's allergy testing

usually is a seasonal thing. I have been dealing with Hanks allergies for years now. I have done research on it and the research is true. says that this usually starts as seasonal but can become a yearly battle because the dog becomes prone to licking and biting so much. But as long as you keep it under control it shouldn't affect him too bad. I adjusted Hanks diet as well and I have noticed when he does have out breaks, its not as severe.
    Good luck

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

Poor Bodie. It does feel better (for you) to have a diagnosis, though, huh?

Sundance is allergic to dust mites and it's definitely seasonal. Mites thrive in warm weather, so fortunately, Sundance hasn't bitten his paws since the temps dropped a few months ago. We'll probably go the allergy shot route, though.

Good luck with Bodie's shots. Let us know how it goes.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

frenchie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitelab21
    uI adjusted Hanks diet as well and I have noticed when he does have out breaks, its not as severe.
    Good luck
    Same here. Soleil mostly has seasonal allergies, but also environmental (I suspect dust mites). His allergy testing (blood) came back with everything but yeast (???) negative. That was 5 years ago. We changed his food and put him on Wellness Fish and potatoes and I've been able to wean him completely off prednisone (he was on 2 pills every other day! I was NOT happy about that!). He's itchy once in a while, more in the spring/fall, but I just brush him well or if he's really uncomfortable I give him 1/2 pill (that doesn't happen more than a couple of times a year now!) and he's all good to go! The vet had a hard time to believe 1/2 pill would work, but I know it does.
    My point is that food might still help, even if he doesn't show food allergies per se.

I do hope that the allergy shots will work because that's probably the best approach. But I'd say experiment with his diet...There's probably a lot of things in the food that could amplify a seasonal allergic reaction. I did a lot of reading online about food and I definitely learned a lot from it.

good luck!

Poor Bodie! He needs a plastic bubble to wear when he goes outside!

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

How often will he need a shot?
    They are easy to give. When I was young (maybe 11 years old) we had a diabetic cat. I was able to give him the insulin shots myself.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope the shots help Bodie.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

We also give allergy shots to Aly. She is allergic to dust, most kinds of wood, several kinds of weeds, and pollen.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie
    Quote Originally Posted by whitelab21
    uI adjusted Hanks diet as well and I have noticed when he does have out breaks, its not as severe.
    Good luck
    Same here. Soleil mostly has seasonal allergies, but also environmental (I suspect dust mites). His allergy testing (blood) came back with everything but yeast (???) negative. That was 5 years ago. We changed his food and put him on Wellness Fish and potatoes and I've been able to wean him completely off prednisone (he was on 2 pills every other day! I was NOT happy about that!). He's itchy once in a while, more in the spring/fall, but I just brush him well or if he's really uncomfortable I give him 1/2 pill (that doesn't happen more than a couple of times a year now!) and he's all good to go! The vet had a hard time to believe 1/2 pill would work, but I know it does.
    My point is that food might still help, even if he doesn't show food allergies per se.

I do hope that the allergy shots will work because that's probably the best approach. But I'd say experiment with his diet...There's probably a lot of things in the food that could amplify a seasonal allergic reaction. I did a lot of reading online about food and I definitely learned a lot from it.

good luck!
    I never heard of the fish and potatoes.. I never would have thought of that . Hank is on Duck and Potato, Natural Balance. I don't blame you for not liking the pred. That much steroids can be harmful. My vet had Hank on Cephalexin. I get it for him when he has a severe out break. Its not a steroid, more of a antibiotic for puritis but man it clears his skin up in a day or two. Anywho, glad to hear you found your fix

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Our fix was doggy benedryl. 3 in the am, 3 in the pm. I didn't know they had testing and shots for Mickey. If the allergies return, I'm going to get him in there, but so far, switching him to Wellness Simple duck and potato and adding the benedryl has done the trick. (we sure didn't get cold enough weather to kill anything---not even the mosquitos!)
    WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast