Wolf hybrids
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf hybrids

WigWag Guest

DefaultWolf hybrids

I thought I would start a new topic so it wouldn't get buried in the other.

Years ago I worked as a vet tech while in undergraduate school and for two years before graduate school to save up some money. Anyway we saw two wolf hybrids. The owners were very knowledgable so I gleaned a lot from them. They lived in Alaska and purchased them from a well known breeder out there. One was 1/4 wolf and 3/4 Malamute and the other was 1/2 wolf and 1/2 Malamute. They do NOT make good house dogs. They are very destructive and don't housebreak well. They had a lot more land in Alaska and then moved to MA and had a pretty good sized fenced backyard where the dogs lived. They were allowed inside their finished basement at night to watch t.v. but that was it. When they came to the vet they were always good - a little rowdy but they were never aggressive. They were both males and neutered and very very tall - Great Dane tall and one weighed 115 lbs and the other was 130 lbs. They were big and impressive. I was taken with them. After owning and loving them for 5 years they turned on the owner one day. They got out of their enclosure and she went to catch them in the front yard - something that had happend before with no incidences. They suddenly turned on her and bit her badly in the hands and arms and face. They ran off. They were easily caught by the animal control officer. The owner took them back with open arms - she accepted their wild side and said she would be more careful.

Wolf hybrids in my opinion a ridiculous idea. People think they are dogs and they are not. They are wild animals. They maul their owners and children all the time. If someone has one and it's normal and friendly it's whole life they are very very lucky - like playing with a loaded gun and as luck would have it you don't pull the trigger too hard.

http://leerburg.com/wolfcross.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wolf hybrids

Totally agree. I remember reading of one pair of hybrids, owned by the same couple for years. They lived in a kennel run, and the owner went in to feed them one day after injuring her leg. The hybrids apparently noticed the weakness in her limping, and attacked her.

I respect your opinion, and I thought the same way. I did rescue her because it isn't her fault that she was born. There is no where around her for her to live as a wild dog if she could truly be wild. That being said, as I stated in the other thread, I had her obedience trained from the beginning. She does like to climb fences and wander around. I have had to break her of that. She is supervised outside at all times. She is very content being a house dog. She has never torn anything up, and she never potties in the house. She basically housetrained herself.

I should have done more research than I did before rescuing her. After the fact I did as much research on temperments as possible.

You never hear of the good hybrids out there, you only hear of the bad. I am hoping to shed some light on the inner workings living with a WolfDog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I distrust anything I read on Leerburg. Here's a site with some more information, run by someone who is a lot more trustworthy (Erich Klinghammer, one of the world's leading wolf ethologists):

http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/index.html

It doesn't disagree with your basic position that they are dangerous, although they are not opposed to hybrid ownership.

labby is offline Senior Member

I agree totally Sharon. They are illegal to own in Michigan though I'm sure some still have them.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    I agree totally Sharon. They are illegal to own in Michigan though I'm sure some still have them.
    They are illegal to own 97% or higher here.

I agree with you completely. I grew up in British Columbia in a little town called 100 Mile House. It was smack dab in the middle of the mountains and wilderness. We actually lived outside it in a smaller town and our backyard was 20 acres of true wilderness. My neighbour had a beautiful wolf. He had taken her in as a pup when he had found the den (I am not sure of the particulars as I was only 8 at the time and only cared about this beautiful animal and not how she came to live with them.) Anyway, my own dog Bogart, sired puppies with her and she was a wonderful animal, she took me in as a pack member and because of her I fell in love with wolves.

As a young adult I thought of adding a wolf-hybrid as a pet but after a lot of research I realized that you shouldn't own a hybrid (or a wolf for that matter.) They have a lot of the drive that wolves have but it is worse. The few cases of wolf attacks have actually been wolf-hybrid attacks. Wolves have a natural caution towards humans but when you breed dogs with wolves, they still have that natural aggressiveness and the instinct of wolves but without the fear of humans. If you think a dog will compete for the title of alpha pack member, well let's just say that they have nothing on what a wolf hybrid will do.

I think I missed the original post but I came on to thank people for their kind words and this caught my eye. I just thought I would add my support to your view.

I posted pictures in the Photo Album.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianlablover
    I agree with you completely. I grew up in British Columbia in a little town called 100 Mile House. It was smack dab in the middle of the mountains and wilderness. We actually lived outside it in a smaller town and our backyard was 20 acres of true wilderness. My neighbour had a beautiful wolf. He had taken her in as a pup when he had found the den (I am not sure of the particulars as I was only 8 at the time and only cared about this beautiful animal and not how she came to live with them.) Anyway, my own dog Bogart, sired puppies with her and she was a wonderful animal, she took me in as a pack member and because of her I fell in love with wolves.

As a young adult I thought of adding a wolf-hybrid as a pet but after a lot of research I realized that you shouldn't own a hybrid (or a wolf for that matter.) They have a lot of the drive that wolves have but it is worse. The few cases of wolf attacks have actually been wolf-hybrid attacks. Wolves have a natural caution towards humans but when you breed dogs with wolves, they still have that natural aggressiveness and the instinct of wolves but without the fear of humans. If you think a dog will compete for the title of alpha pack member, well let's just say that they have nothing on what a wolf hybrid will do.

I think I missed the original post but I came on to thank people for their kind words and this caught my eye. I just thought I would add my support to your view.
    You just said exactly what I was going to say. I wrote a research paper on this in college. Very interesting. I had a friend, after college, who had a 1/4 wolf/german shepherd cross. He was very sweet, but they had acres & acres for all their dogs to run on. I think it's case by case on the temperament, but I
    am not gonna push my luck!

WigWag Guest

Nathan why the hostility towards Ed Frawley? In my opinion he knows more about aggression in dogs than anyone else I have ever read. Yes he's rude and haughty but there is a lot of great information on his site particularly aggression.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast