Wolf hybrids - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wolf hybrids

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wolf hybrids

A bit off topic, but the wolf-hybrid does remind me of my my sister, who lives in the Yukon, has what is called an "Eskimo" Dog. He's certainly not purebred, but rather was the result of sled dogs left loose to roam in rural northern communities. She brought him in as a puppy when they lived WAY north in Arviat (Nunavut Territory).

He is SUCH a friendly dog, very loyal and protective, but I wouldn't trust him near a cat for sure! BUT, they have had 2 previous stray Eskimo Dogs, both females, that were very timid and much more wild... one was poisened and one ran away. Because these dogs are "bred" (or allowed to roam and procreate) to be working sled dogs, and not family pets, they do have an element of wildness to them. I'm not sure how their Akluq became so friendly and family oriented, something in his lineage anyhow.

Anyhow, here are some pics of their pupper Akluq from our trip to Whitehorse this summer... I think he's beautiful.

Here is some info on the actual breed, although I would bet that the majority of the working dogs out there are not CKC papered!... http://www.sleddogcentral.com/canadian_eskimo.htm
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CenTex, did you mention in one of the other threads, that yours is 87% wolf? Or her mom was 87% or something?

Somewhere I remember reading 87% - my memory stinks!

ANYWAY.... my question was, how do you know what the percentage is?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    CenTex, did you mention in one of the other threads, that yours is 87% wolf? Or her mom was 87% or something?

Somewhere I remember reading 87% - my memory stinks!

ANYWAY.... my question was, how do you know what the percentage is?
    Her mom was 87% and the dad was about 97% (or so they say, could have been more). Basically it is dependent on how many domestic dogs were bred back into the wolf line. Once hybrids get mixed with hybrids the percentages go down or up depending on the lineage. I am figuring Precious is about 92%. That is my own average of the two.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZukinGriffins Mom Guest

Just wanted to share a story....

My brother and sister in law took in 3 wolf hybrid puppies several years ago. They were abandoned by a neighbor as the mother was killed by a car. I cant remember all the specifics, but basically, the neighbor was ignorant and basically left the puppies to die. Being good hearted dog people, my brother and sister in law took the pups in. Well, to make a long story short, these "dogs" turned out pretty well, I was very impressed with how they raised them and cared for them. They did have wild tendancies and were outdoor dogs. They had an enclosed area but would love to escape. They also ate meat vs. dry food and howled at night! They live in a different state than us and I will never forget, we spent the night in their RV just a way from the wolf enclosure. Those "dogs" howled all night!! Part of me thought it was cute...but then again, not when you are trying to sleep! They were good with children and other dogs, as my brother and sister in law have 5 children and at the time, up to 4 dogs. The pups have all passed on now and in hindsight, its hard to believe that they took in these wolves and had a positive experience. We all realize that this may be the exception to the norm but it is a good story, one worth sharing. Not to advocate the breed, but simply to say that not all wolf hybrids are bad.

Thanks for letting me share!
    Deb

When I was younger we had a wolf/GSD male which was a remarkable animal. Prince was my pet and was a great family "dog". He would sleep with me and go with me everywhere when he was allowed to. When he wasn't he would quite often tear free (people were stupid back then and used to tie dogs out on chains) and come find me even if I was at school a couple of miles away. It was not unusual to find him sitting outside the door to the 3 room school I was attending at the time. No one who knew him was afraid of him and he was wonderful with other dogs. We had two cats as well and also got a kitten when he was 10 months old which he allowed to climb all over him. His father was a +130 lb. wolf and I use to play with him at the farm where we got Prince from, his mother was a +100 lb. GSD which had been brought over from Germany. At full weight Prince reached 175LBS!!!!! A very big and impressive animal with the look of a black and tan GSD. Most people thought he was just a very large German Shepherd. Prince was as good a "dog" as any ever have been, listened to my Dad, Mom, my sisters and especially to me. Unfortunately my father passed away and my Mother found it too hard to handle 3 young children and cope with Prince as well since he became a bit difficult after Dads' passing. Also the cost of feeding this monster was huge and money was rapidly becoming an issue, so Prince had to go. I was a stupid selfish boy back then and stopped speaking to my Mother for 2 years after Prince left. My Mom and I used to laugh about that before her passing, she would say that I was just as stubborn as that damn dog! To this day I still miss that dog and feel blessed to have been able to experience what I did with him. Thanks to him I have a fondness for wolves and all things wild. This is not to say that I condone hybrids as they can be very unpredictable. Temperment can be one of the most difficult things to breed for and usually is quite hit or miss,at least in the case of hybrids. I do feel however that for every bad story there may quite well be few good ones.

Several years ago I was going to a party with some friends. Their friend's party was in the city. As we go into the party, I hear barking...loud barking. Loving dogs, I ask where the dogs are?..Oh, they are out back. They tell me that they have two huskies. When I go and see these two dogs, I quickly realize that theya re not Huskies, but a male wolf and a female hybrid. I was in awe at the size and beauty of these creatures. Yes, they are beautiful, but I was very uneasy around them. They couldn't be left in the house because they constantly marked the walls and furniture. They also had cats and ferrets that they obviously attacked. They also had a strong scent to their fur. They would also howl at night. They didn't have more than 50 square feet of land to play in. Definitely not enough to run around. They let me pet the male only when the husband was there. The female was much more loveable. I always thought it was selfish of them to have such beautiful creatures contained to such a small area. They loved wolves, but the city is not a place to have them. Their neighbors really thought they were Huskies so they never got reported. I haven't thought of them until I read the post. I will have to ask whatever happened to them.

I would never have one, but I used to housesit for two a lot weekends while in college (I was a pet groomer for 5 years so I knew the dogs well from there). They really were sweet dogs and never destroyed their house. I guess they were lucky though - they did spend a lot of time with them and baby them.

Coyotes are actually pretty small little things. We never had much problem with them on our farm. (We had no fowl.) As for wolf-hybrids, we all have heard of bad and good ones. Heck, I've heard of a Golden Retriever that killed a kid--upon autopsy it was found that the dog had a severe ear infection. Kid probably bashed the ear. Anyway, any wild animal can go bonkers while in your immediate vicinty. Elephants kill their zookeepers all the time. At least wolf-hybrids (or any dog!) don't weigh 3 tons!! ;D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234