Sloppy Retriever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sloppy Retriever

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultSloppy Retriever

I think I have world's sloppiest retriever. :-\ When Sami is going for a ball/dummy she runs full speed and will quite frequently do a complete somersault over the object. Or she will stop her front end while the back end of her does a 180 degree turn so that she will end up facing me. She used to do this when she was a puppy and I always assumed she would grow out of it. Not happening. I really don't care how it looks, but I am concerned that she is going to get hurt. She would never make a good hunting dog -- she also likes to slam her object against the ground as she's running with it. Yeah she's got a soft mouth ... too bad the ground is so hard. ;D

Just curious, if anyone else has a retriever who doesn't look very "purty" while retrieving?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sloppy Retriever

Haha! ;D Kinda sounds like Thor! :P

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We should take videos and post them... "who has the world's goofiest retriever"
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Elias sort of does that. He runs full speed at at it and usually over runs it!

I actually found this forum 3 yrs ago so that I could ask this very question Should I discourage my lab from retrieving with such enthusiasm that he does summersaults?

She's just driven and that's a great quality! All of mine will go head over while retrieving a ball or bumper in the open. I've found that making them retrieve up a hill keeps this from happening...it also builds buns of steel!

Tucker doesn't always look purty either with retrieves. He'll fly by the ball/bumper/whatever and do a quick turn back, almost falling sideways, or fall over it. ;D

I've wondered if he could get hurt, but so far, nah.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    I actually found this forum 3 yrs ago so that I could ask this very question Should I discourage my lab from retrieving with such enthusiasm that he does summersaults?

She's just driven and that's a great quality! All of mine will go head over while retrieving a ball or bumper in the open. I've found that making them retrieve up a hill keeps this from happening...it also builds buns of steel!
    Ha ... guess what? For the last 3 weeks I have been taking her to a hill to retrieve and it IS better there. It's when I have her in my own yard and in the flat fields that I see the somersaults and other gymanstics. The last several weeks we've been going to an area w/ a large retention pond (which is dry). There is a large hill (I'd say 12' - 20' feet in different parts) built up around the "pond". I've been throwing her ball up on top of the hill. Sometimes I miss and the ball goes over the top of the hill and rolls down the other side into the pond area. She really gets a work out then because she has to climb the hill twice for one retrieve. Honestly, I've discovered that this wears her out like nothing else.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma looks really funny when she's retrieving. She runs in full speed and then she kind of attack the object! So much play, looks like a lioness catching a prey.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Bandit does this but he is still a puppy so Im not sure if he is sloppy or clumsy. LOL! Sometimes in the house he will chase his ball into the kitchen and run full speed into the cabinets. Its cute!

WigWag Guest

That's why when Clint was 6 months old I purchased him his first soccerball. I figured it was higher than a tennis ball or a bumper so he wouldn't have to put his head so low and thus go end over end and hurt himself. The soccerball allows him to pick it up on the fly.

I also will throw Wigeon's bumper and kick the ball into our fence or woods so they have to slow down a bit right before grabbing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast