Cappy's morning workout

Thread: Cappy's morning workout

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultCappy's morning workout

The pair of Canada Geese that spent last Feb through August with us have returned. We're grateful they made it through this season so far and hope they will stay here another couple weeks until hunting season ends. We know they are "ours" because they land in the pond next to our house and walk right up onto the bank where we had their corn feeder last year.

We never hunt the pond by the house because (1) it's a sanctuary for ducks and geese, (2) because we feed waterfowl there it would be against Federal law because that would be considered to be "baiting", and (3) being less than 40 yards from the house it would just be too dangerous to shoot a gun that near.

However, 500 yards away is a large dawg training and hunting pond and wetlands that we do hunt when we have time for just a short hunt like this morning. Cappy and I got there about 5 minutes before legal shooting time which is 30 minutes before published sunrise. We parked the ATV in it's hiding place and walked the 100 yards over to the blind we were going to hunt from. Just before we got there Capper picked up the scent and began staring intently out into the water not far from our blind. That immediately told me he spotted ducks in the pond very close by. I made him walk at heel the last 15 yards as he was already trembling and trying hard to stifle the whining. We eased into the blind, sat down and then we both were staring intently out into the flooded sorghum when I spotted them too. Our CANADA GEESE! They apparently flew over there before dark last night and spend the evening there as their "roost".

Cappy was by then shaking so hard he was making me vibrate sitting next to him on the same plank seat. After watching them for 10-15 minutes, Cappy couldn't take it any longer so I stood up suddenly and waved my hat at the pair. The raised their necks in a typical alerted pose, slowly paddled 50 yards away and then leisurely took flight heading back towards the home pond.

We stayed for another half hour and managed to take one Gadwall, the only duck we saw this morning. When we got home, Remi was let out and quick to come over to investigate the hunts success. Notice Cappy's not real anxious to share the duck with 'Lil sister? ;D

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cappy's morning workout

Great pictures Cappy_TX! Too bad you only saw the one duck. Better luck next time to you guys. That looks like a beautiful place you have there, I am quite jealous.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

What a beautiful pair of Canada geese! I'm glad they have a home in your pond. Of course Cappy doesn't want to share, there is only ONE duck and it's HIS!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Awesome! Beautiful geese you are quite lucky to have such beautiful creatures share your home!

Cappy looks great with his duck!

Thanks, as usual, for sharing!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Those geese are beautiful. I hope they will decide to stay at your pond for a while.

Boy Jim it would surely be nice to see some gooslings come late spring.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

;D ;D Nice pics