How well does your Lab take tablets?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How well does your Lab take tablets?

sarah is offline Senior Member

TalkingHow well does your Lab take tablets?

So Milly has been on meds for her foot. She has these pretty big pink tablets that she has to take, one with each meal. I break it in half and force them down a half at a time.

At first it was hard. She'd clamp her mouth shut and it took two of us to keep her still. Now... she's getting used to it.

Tonight's scenario:

• Eat dinner and have a drink
    • Lay on the rug in front of heater happy and content
    • hear mum in the kitchen... oooh might be a food score run and see what she's got
    • notice that she has pink tablet.. run and hide behind dad
    • Seen mum coming with tablet AND liver treats!! WHOA !!
    • Run and sit infront of mum's lap eager and ready, drooling (even though just ate) eyeing off liver treat
    • More than happy to obey said task of taking tablets cause Liver Treats look SSSSOOOO goood!

LOL.... So what is it like in your home when meds have to be ingested?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

Willy will take them reluctantly, but if I say "Eat it" he will. Libby will not take them no matter what I do to her. If I wrap it in cheese or slather it with peanut butter, she'll take it and the spit out the pill. So I have to mush it up and then put it in peanut butter first, but I can't let her see the bottle, or she won't take it. I have to pretend it's a treat.

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

'Rhysie Sit', 'Speak' (reward with a pill in cheese) 'Good Boy.'
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Clancey - always suspicioius - usually need PB or cheese
    Harper - sooooo trusting - will eat anthing I hand/feed him

Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    'Rhysie Sit', 'Speak' (reward with a pill in cheese) 'Good Boy.'
    I tried that. Didnt work... cheese would go down the hatch and then she'd spit out the pill!

Seems to work better for us if she KNOWS she has to have it but she KNOWS there is a reward after. Go figure!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

One gob of PB, push pill into the middle, call HK, Oh! Don't have to call HK, she was at my feet since the PB jar was opened. Sit! Shake! Here's the PB! SCORE!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I put the pill in cheese, make him sit, tell him to take it nice, and he takes it. Then I gently rub under his chin and his neck to keep his head back a little . . . and it goes right down. If I don't hold his head back, he eats the food and spits the pill out too.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    She has these pretty big pink tablets that she has to take, one with each meal. I break it in half and force them down a half at a time.
    Sounds like Clavulox? I've had about 3 dogs including Jo that have LOVED them. I could give it to them without food & they'd eat them like any other treat.

Instead of poking it down her throat, try hiding them in peanut butter or any other favorite food of hers. You could also try getting some chicken breast, boil it up & put the pill in that in her regular food. You might have to cut them in half because they are BIG.

Good luck. Poor Milly.
    Last edited by Garth; 05-08-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

Indy takes 9-11 pills daily, and now extra with his antibiotics.....I make a meatball with canned food, and slurp, no problems.....In fact, all 3 dogs, when they have to take a pill, as long as it is in the canned food meatball, they scarf it...

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Sounds like Claulox? I've had about 3 dogs including Jo that have LOVED them. I could give it to them without food & they'd eat them like any other treat.

Instead of poking it down her throat, try hiding them in peanut butter or any other favorite food of hers. You could also try getting some chicken breast, boil it up & put the pill in that in her regular food. You might have to cut them in half because they are BIG.

Good luck. Poor Milly.
    Garth --- tried tried and tried. Hiding it in food does NOT work. I can do it in secret put it down, she starts to eat, sniffs and then stops. All this from a dog who loves her food.

We've got a routine now and she's pretty good at it. I just wanted to share our episode tonight and hoped you'd all see the humour in it and see how your dogs go with tablets!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast