Venison jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison jerky

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultVenison jerky

My husband hunts deer and will use the thin strips of meat to make jerky. Elias LOVES it. Last night he started a batch on the dehydrator before we went to bed. This morning he gave Elias a piece and I reminded him to move the dehydrator away from the edge of the counter. Elias has NEVER taken food off the counter but he LOVES venison jerky so much and it was right on the edge so I thought he better just move it to be safe.
    Well he forgot to move it and guess who just ate an entire tray of jerky?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Venison jerky

Well, I hafta say if I was your dog I would have done the same thing. Venison jerky is worth the punishment !!!!! ;D

to heck with being a lab.. I would have done it if i was there.. LOL J/K
    Venison is the bestest.. i wish hubby hunted deer instead of quail, skeet, and whatever else.. but not deer. I love bambi and all, but i would lOVE some venison. He buys the jerkey in the store and says, but this is good too YUCK!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Yum Yum Yum!! I love venison jerky! BF was making some last night! Yum! ;D

I wish my husband would hunt. I'd give anything to get to hunt or be a hunting week-end widow. I grew up hunting anything you could get a license for. Then I went and married a city-slicker......

...That's why I love your hunting pics, Cappy!!!!

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

My husband wishes there was a way for Elias to participate with his deer hunting. I guess getting our 70 lb lab up in a tree stand wouldn't be so easy, not to mention getting him to sit quietly for hours. Although he has helped him find a deer after he shot it. It was dark out and Brian took Elias out in the woods to see if he could help him find the doe he shot. Well Elias found the bloody arrow right away which lead my husband right to the deer. Good boy!

Ha, the exact same thing happened to us when we made Jerky! Only ours got it off the counter from counter surfing...they do love it!

We had made ours in the oven so DH was super pissed that he spent so much time making it only to have the dogs eat it all!

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Mu husband wishes there was a way for Elias to participate with his deer hunting. I guess getting our 70 lb lab up in a tree stand wouldn't be so easy, not to mention getting him to sit quietly for hours. Although he has helped him find a deer after he shot it. It was dark out and Brian took Elias out in the woods to see if he could help him find the doe he shot. Well Elias found the bloody arrow right away which lead my husband right to the deer. Good boy!
    Haha, I used to think you could take a dog deer hunting until DH nicely explained that you can't...they dog would scare away the deer! DUH!

Yup, venison jerky would be worth a scolding to me! I have about 30 pounds of venison ready to be made into jerky in the freezer.

I shoot 3-4 deer for me every year, and 1-2 for the dogs ( I am a deer sharpshooter, so can 'take' as many as I want).

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Although he has helped him find a deer after he shot it. It was dark out and Brian took Elias out in the woods to see if he could help him find the doe he shot. Well Elias found the bloody arrow right away which lead my husband right to the deer. Good boy!
    That was the 'original' reason I got Belle, to be a blood tracker. She has made some spectacular finds. It is one of her passions in life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast