Venison jerky - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venison jerky

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Venison jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Although he has helped him find a deer after he shot it. It was dark out and Brian took Elias out in the woods to see if he could help him find the doe he shot. Well Elias found the bloody arrow right away which lead my husband right to the deer. Good boy!
    That was the 'original' reason I got Belle, to be a blood tracker. She has made some spectacular finds. It is one of her passions in life.
    Do you ever use her to help you find deer sheds? My husband tried to do this with Elias, it didn't work out, but he really didn't put forth that much effort so I shouldn't say that Elias failed.
    Brian will shave off the sharp parts on his smaller sheds and they are Elias' favorite toys to play with and chew on. When he was little we made a game out of it, we called it "find your shed". Would would hide the shed somewhere in the house and have Elias go find it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blacklabelias
    Do you ever use her to help you find deer sheds? My husband tried to do this with Elias, it didn't work out, but he really didn't put forth that much effort so I shouldn't say that Elias failed.
    Brian will shave off the sharp parts on his smaller sheds and they are Elias' favorite toys to play with and chew on. When he was little we made a game out of it, we called it "find your shed". Would would hide the shed somewhere in the house and have Elias go find it.
    I have thought about it, but haven't done much about it. I would think it would be hard to train for (but not impossible), especially if the sheds have been off the buck for few days.

Yeah Beau actually helped me find a doe this year and he did it au natueral I had a blood trail for a little way and then lost it got him showed him the blood and said find it and he did yeah!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I hunt deer also, didn't this year but got 2 gave to me. I cut everything into stew meat or steaks because I love it that way. Buy some bottom round beef and make your jerky out of that, homemade is better and since most use a few spices and such in it you really can't tell the differance, but homemade is much better.

Rowdy gets more excited over deer when I eat it than he does beef, I cook most of it slow in the oven in a cover cast iron skillet, I started soaking rawhides in the broth and he now brings me one when I serving me my supper. "Baste it for me Dad." ;D

Helstedt is offline Member

Max had deer hanging right outside his day kennel and gorged him self on what ever he could until I finish processing them.

It was hilarious watching Max figure out that the deer on the wall and the deer in the garage were the same but different.

It's illegal to track deer wounded or not with dogs in Iowa or Max would be all over it.
    A fresh bone after a long walk... Wow!&nbsp; It&#039;s the simple things! <br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/maximus_feather_chaser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12