Playing and growling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing and growling

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlaying and growling

Today i was playing keep away with Tal and he started that deep throated growl...I never felt threatened and he kept wanting me to play because he would keep trying to hand me the chuck it toy.

I was not sure what to do so I told him to let it go (my command for drop it) and he did, just as I would expect. I praised him and we continued the game. That was not something unusual because when we play keep away or tug of war sometimes out of the blue I will tell him to let it go and he does.

Is this normal? His behavior otherwise around me or anyone else is what I would expect. He does not now nor has he ever shown any aggression towards anyone or anything. I was just wondering what you guys thought.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Playing and growling

Its a play growl nothing to worry about. You can't just go by one thing the dog is doing to assess his/her mood. You have to look at the body language, what Tal is doing with his tail. For example if the tail is wagging flat that means he is happy. If its up it means he is excited and maybe not in a good way. I bet somewhere before his growl he had his rearend up in the air and his front legs extended and his head low to the ground. This is called a playbow. I would recommend Stanley Coren's How to Speak Dog. It is exceptional in covering the verbal and non-verbal language dogs use to communicate what they are thinking and about to do.
    Olie

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

YEs, Rowan was doing that about the 12 wk age... but has only done it once since then.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When Larry plays, whether it be with us or other dogs, he "talks" a lot - especially when he gets very excited. It sounds like he is really growling, but he is not being aggressive or excessively rough. As Olie said, read the body language. If the tail is wagging, he's just having fun.

WigWag Guest

Of course it's normal. Dogs communicate with their voices like we do except they bark, whine, and growl. He was having fun with you.

Dusty was a growler when he played. Now, if it was a growl because he didn't want to do something. Not good. He got in trouble.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Sounds like play growling to me. Buck does it when we tug once in a blue moon.

Bet his tail was wagging a million miles an hour. Like Oonas dad said you can tell from their posturing too.

I am pretty sure you'd know if it were aggression.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Oh yes his tail was going about 100 mph. Sometimes it would be straight and other times pointed slightly upward. And he did do the play bow routine several times. We played for like half an hour or so. I'm not sure who had more fun tho me or him..lol. He does do it frequenlt when we play like that.

When we started playing I had just finished cleaning up in the kitchen. he brought his little chuck it toy and lay it at my feet. maybe I should have waited and initiated the game after a few minutes myself but I decided why not and started to play with him. One of my favorite things about him is seeing his not-so-little tail wag about 100 mph. I know he is happy and enjoying himself.

You confirmed what I suspected but it's still nice to confirm what you think!

Thanks again.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi is very vocal when we are playing.

Her tail will be going 100+ miles an hour & she'll make all sorts of growly sounds. She does this alot when we are playing or rough-housing on the floor. If at any point the growl changes to something non "play" or she stops wagging her tail, the fun-time stops immediately.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Lucy and Cricket both get into tuggie and make a heck of alot of noise. Both are very vocal. When they wrestle they sound like they are going to kill each other...but it is all in fun.
    My guests who aren't dog people hear it and freak out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast