Angus' first CKC obedience class, novice

Thread: Angus' first CKC obedience class, novice

DefaultAngus' first CKC obedience class, novice

Angus' breeder offers CKC Obedience for Novice, Open, and Utility. Tonight was Angus' 1st class & he did great! He's been to puppy kindergarten already for 4 weeks at a different place, this is more formal obedience. He was heeling really well by the end of class, I was surprised. I'm not used to using a chain collar..I'm a bit of a softy I guess It will come in time. 9 more classes to go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Angus' first CKC obedience class, novice

Keep up the good work Angus!

Thanks! It's cool to see such highly trained dogs, especially off leash...they amaze me. There was a 10 week old puppy there just "watching", he was a bit too excited, and his owners a bit hesitant I think. Aside from the other pup, Angus was the baby there. The labs training for their Utility title blew me away, I think it would be fun to pursue it and see where it goes. I am interested in Dock Dogs also, but I think we;ll work on getting the basic commands down first .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Way to go Angus. Keep up the good work.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

That is great! We need more pics of Angus!

Okay - you HAVE to tell me the details... lol. Where is Angus from? And where are you taking the classes from??

We did puppy-K and 2 levels of obedience with CoCo at the multipurpose room of the Woodlawn Vet Clinic... The owner of Wyndenfog Kennels is the trainer (she also happens to be the buyer for the clinic)... Anyhow, I'm afraid we didn't really keep up with it as much as we should or could have... once the basics were down we pretty much slacked off.
    ~Jo & CoCo

CoCos mom - we got Angus from a fabulous breeder, Don Bates, Doindogs Kennels, also in Dartmouth. (he has a website if you care to look ) The training is held at the North Woodside Community Ctr. The vet we go to is in Tantallon, Dr Don Rushton, as that is who Angus' breeder uses & recommends.

How is CoCo now with her obedience? She is beautiful!

(our Puppy K was at Lietash Canine Academy, but their obedience is not the same as the CKC regulation, and that is what I was looking for. Not that I intend to compete with Angus, but I want that level of training and obedience from him regardless. I also migh like to get him into Dock Dogs at some point, and I believe the have to have completed at least Novice level first?)

Good job! and he's soooo adorable!

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastmom
    CoCos mom - we got Angus from a fabulous breeder, Don Bates, Doindogs Kennels, also in Dartmouth. (he has a website if you care to look ) The training is held at the North Woodside Community Ctr. The vet we go to is in Tantallon, Dr Don Rushton, as that is who Angus' breeder uses & recommends.

How is CoCo now with her obedience? She is beautiful!

(our Puppy K was at Lietash Canine Academy, but their obedience is not the same as the CKC regulation, and that is what I was looking for. Not that I intend to compete with Angus, but I want that level of training and obedience from him regardless. I also migh like to get him into Dock Dogs at some point, and I believe the have to have completed at least Novice level first?)
    I KNEW it! lol... I was seriously going to guess that when you said that your breeder offered the CKC classes, and he's definitely a well known lab breeder in the area. We actually visited Don at his house and saw some of his puppies, but we weren't ready at that time to take home a puppy. He's certainly very active in the local shows! He actually lives not too far away from us. We ended up going with Doukare Labradors in Yarmouth, they haven't been around as long as Don (although they mentored from a retired breeder and took over some of those dogs), but they were recommended to us and had a great breeding available in the time frame we were looking for. They have a few younger rising stars in the local shows as well.

CoCo did well in her obedience class... but that's the problem, she did well IN CLASS but we just haven't been consistent enough with her training so outside with distractions is a whole other story! ha! She listens pretty well though, I have to say.

We should seriously try to have a mini lab fest some day at a local park, and try to get some other lab owners to come!
    ~Jo & CoCo

A min lab-fest would be great!

Yes, Don is active in showing & competition for sure That's really one of the reasons we chose him, he is all about improving the breed which of course means breedeing proven dogs. Also, his health checks and maintenance are impeccable, he's really particular, and that impressed us greatly.

Another owner of a 2 year old lab who competes regularly was telling me how important it is to really keep up the training, even after class is over, or they tend to lose their "edge". I can see me slacking off too, but again, I am not at this stage planning to compete like he does.

How is CoCo's retrieving? I always joke with people that Angus is not a retriever, he's a "taker" (we sooo need to work on that )