NLR...random breeding...sorry just have to vent (long, sorry)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NLR...random breeding...sorry just have to vent (long, sorry)

DefaultNLR...random breeding...sorry just have to vent (long, sorry)

Ok, it's not about a lab...I apologize, but am just so upset. Many know we have neighbors that have dogs that come play with Tucker. A Brittany Spaniel, Chance, about 4 yo (?), intact (no plans to neuter him; no money either I suspect). Now Sadie, Golden Retriever, about 6 mos.

This is Sadie, playing with Tucker

Saturday a golden I'd never seen (intact) was in the yard playing with Tucker and Sadie, who'd come up to play. I got the numbers on his rabies tag, called the vet listed. They called me with the owner's # (and said this dog's a 'frequent flyer', goes off regularly)...owner lives 3-5 miles away; came to pick up her golden.

She wondered if he came here 'cause the other golden (Sadie) was in heat. Her male's intact 'cause she also has a female golden, and breeds once a year. I told her I didn't think Sadie was old enough to have come into heat yet. She checked her and said no she isn't in heat. After thanking me several times for calling her about her dog, she said he'll probably be back when Sadie comes into heat. :'( Her comment also was...."well, if he breeds her, he's AKC". > She said when he gets lost again, she'll know where to come looking.

Also, hub found 2 piles of Sadie's poop in our yard, with worms in it.

Tonight, I went to the neighbors to talk to them. I told them about the poop, and that Sadie has worms. The guy said yeah they know, they need to go to the vet. :-\

I also told him everything that happened Saturday with the male golden showing up, and his owner wondering if he'd 'caught' Sadie. I told him I thought he should know, and that even though she's not had a heat yet, the golden will probably be back once she's old enough, if she doesn't get spayed. He said he's not spaying her......and he'll put diapers on her to protect her. > (I don't think they have the money to spay her).

Both his Brittany, Chance, and his Golden, Sadie, are sweet, wonderful dogs. Sadie is very submissive, actually crawling up to the yard with tail between her legs many times, before she gets started playing with Tucker. She's also been having submissive pee'ing on our porch at times. I think they yell at her a lot, and this is the result. She listens really well.....she'll sit and do other things for us that we've taught her. We give both she and Chance treats; they're wonderful dogs.

I'm so upset tonight, fearing that this poor girl will be bred by either Chance, in her own household, or the golden that may show up again, or some other dog. I want to try to talk to these neighbors again, but I don't think anything's going to get through to them. > :'(

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: NLR...random breeding...sorry just have to vent (long, sorry)

Unfortunately it is all around us...
    I work with a woman who's daughter just bred her golden dogs just bc they are cute and wanted puppies and to make a few bucks. I also have a cousin who is using her mix rottie to breed so some guy can use them on his farm as guard dogs :

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Ugh, that's awful. Lots of Goldens do that outrageously submissive act, though; they aren't necessarily mistreating her. (Not that your story inspires any confidence in them, though... )

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I can only imagine how upsetting and frustrating this must be. Just one suggestion -- do you know if there is a low cost spay/neuter clinic near you? If so, maybe you could give them this information. I doubt any dog that will be detered by a bitch in diapers :

Submissive peeing on the other hand isn't necessarily caused by the owners mistreatment. Sami did this for months and she's treated like a queen

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Bummer. Unfortunately people like that are usually unwilling to learn anything.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Maybe you could just quietly leavethe brochure of a low cost spay and neuter clinic around?

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

You deserve a lot of credit for trying to talk to them.

(((hugs))) all you can do is try and help.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Wait a second...they have money to keep TWO dogs but not enough money to spay and neuter them???

The " I don't have enough money to fix my dog" excuse really ticks me off. It's not like it's cheap to keep a dog. They are expensive pets. If you can't afford to fix one dog then don't get a dog at all and definitely don't get a second one! blah!

Here's a link for low cost/free spay and neuter certificate. A lot of vets participate in it. Perhaps you can give them the certificates. Hopefully, their vet is involved in the program. I didn't even know about it till my vet told me and I took advantage of the program. It definitely cuts down on the cost and if your dog weighs less than 50lbs (I think) it's free.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/

Good Luck with Sadie.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    Wait a second...they have money to keep TWO dogs but not enough money to spay and neuter them???

The " I don't have enough money to fix my dog" excuse really ticks me off. It's not like it's cheap to keep a dog. They are expensive pets. If you can't afford to fix one dog then don't get a dog at all and definitely don't get a second one! blah!

Here's a link for low cost/free spay and neuter certificate. A lot of vets participate in it. Perhaps you can give them the certificates. Hopefully, their vet is involved in the program. I didn't even know about it till my vet told me and I took advantage of the program. It definitely cuts down on the cost and if you dog weighs than 50lbs (I think) it's free.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/

Good Luck with Sadie.
    I agree completely. It reminds me of something my granny used to say. If you are not going to take care of them do not have them. It's just unbelievable.

First, thanks on the insight into goldens being submissives much of the time...I didn't know that. She'd always done this, until recently. Recently, she hasn't been crawling with the tail tucked...she just bounds up into the yard, tail up and wagging. It was tonight when she came up that she was doing the submissive crawling, and peeing..making me wonder about her treatment. So hopefully that's just her being her, and nothing else.

One day while playing she didn't go home when called; I heard him calling her, and as I stepped out onto the deck, he had her by the fur (under the neck), dragging her home, her legs dragging on the ground.
    >

Unfortunately, they don't have just the 2 dogs...there are 4! A lab/shepherd mix, who's territorial, and a nice-looking pointer-type. Those 2 are kept in a small pen down on the other side of their house. So yes, they have more dogs than they can afford to keep.

Thanks for the advice and links about low-cost spaying. I've thought about trying to find something like that; if it were cheap enough, I'd even offer to pay for her spaying. This just shouldn't happen to this girl.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast