Trouble in Paradise Update

Thread: Trouble in Paradise Update

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTrouble in Paradise Update

Well, after a few days of avoiding each other, the boys seem to be back to their normal, jolly selves. They are back to playing chase me under the deck, bite my neck, and so on.

Sigh.

I'm not sure if their reticence towards one another was caused by the fight, or by the giant hissy I threw after the fight. :-[

Either way, for now, peace reigns again. It was really good to watch them play today (I am home today with a bum knee...unrelated to the fight )

Just thought I'd update, as a couple of you had asked if they were yet speaking to each other. :P Thanks for all your advice in the other thread. I'm not sure yet exactly what we're going to do. I think we need to do a better job of managing resources and enforcing certain protocols, such as respecting each other's individual lovin' time.

They are both such sweet boys, basically. Oh, they are full of monkey business, sure, but this was so out of character for them.

Anyway...just wanted to update and say thanks.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Trouble in Paradise Update

I'm glad to hear all is well with Angus & Simon.

;D ;D ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Connie, I'm really glad to hear that the boys are getting along well again. I agree with others that if you manage prized possessions and enforce more rules, then things will probably go well. My only concern about yelling is that if it doesn't interrupt the fight, it can increase the arousal level. (In my one successful attempt at breaking up a fight involving a pit bull, I didn't say anything at all--I just picked the pit up like a wheelbarrow.) With more boundaries--especially rules for Simon so he has a job to do when he might otherwise start feeling anxious/jealous--you probably won't need to raise your voice at all.

P.S. At least at first, make sure Simon feels rewarded for staying out of the way when you are giving Angus attention. You can say nothing--you don't even have to look at him--but just toss treats to him. Does he have a "go to place" cue?

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Connie, I'm really glad to hear that the boys are getting along well again. I agree with others that if you manage prized possessions and enforce more rules, then things will probably go well. My only concern about yelling is that if it doesn't interrupt the fight, it can increase the arousal level. (In my one successful attempt at breaking up a fight involving a pit bull, I didn't say anything at all--I just picked the pit up like a wheelbarrow.) With more boundaries--especially rules for Simon so he has a job to do when he might otherwise start feeling anxious/jealous--you probably won't need to raise your voice at all.
    Yep, I've seen that only intensify things and they have "tuned you out" anyway. The ole wheelbarrow trick works much better!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I don't think I was really yelling as much *during* the fight as directly afterwards. :-[ During the fight, I was very busily banging a floor lamp that was making no helpful noise at all. : I really liked that floor lamp, too. I bent it, and now the light won't come on.

I agree about yelling making it worse. To them, it would be like, "OK, we're all growling and mad, now Mom and Dad are growling and mad too, so there must really be something going on here that we should all be upset about!" I totally agree. To be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure how much I yelled, if at all, while it was going on. I hope none. But I know I yelled after. :-\

I read something in "Fight" the other night about that wheelbarrow move that I never thought about: She said never to grab a dog below the back knee joint, but to grab their legs high up, close to where they attach, if you are going to do the wheelbarrow move. She said you could cause knee damage grabbing lower.

She also suggested gripping the base of the tail, near the body, and pulling both dogs up and out, raising their hind legs off the ground.

The section on breaking up a dog fight just about had me ready to ban neighborhood walks forever. Scary.

One really bizarre thing that stuck with me on how to break away a dog who has latched on: Insert something into their rectum. But hey, I bet it would work, and fast.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kaytris is offline Senior Member

if you do that, connie, be ready to move REALLY REALLY fast when the dog whips around and redirects. And hope your thumb doesn't get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    if you do that, connie, be ready to move REALLY REALLY fast when the dog whips around and redirects. And hope your thumb doesn't get stuck.

Carry a long pole!! tee hee!!

Connie, you also have to get the hind legs up high enough in the air to make them let go. That light bulb finally came on in my head after working up a sweat one time! : I was just a third party! sheesh!!
    Males can be brutal, but females are even worse. They will lock on even with muzzles ... they don't call them bitches for nothing!

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Having dealt with a few dog fights, I have no idea how I could get anything in the ass of a thrashing, fighting dog. Maybe Jean Donaldson knows something I don't.

[AUTHOR'S NOTE: Here the opportunity presents itself for an absolutely fabulous joke ending with the words "my wedding night," but because this is a family-friendly forum, I will resist.]

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

i'm glad things are better in paradise.

i like nathan suggestion of providing feedback on the kinds of behavior you WANT from your dogs.
    teach them that nice behaviors are rewarded, and by reinforcing those behaviors, help angus learn better manners and help simon build his tolerance towards other dogs.

i know that i'm lucky in how well my two get along. luke is such an easy going guy, and he is good about sharing toys and bones. when he gives something up and if he catches my eye, he'll mosey over and put his head down to get some lovin, which he gets, including anything edible i might be able to give him.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford