Question About Breeding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Breeding

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultQuestion About Breeding

And now that I have your attention ... seriously, I bought Sami on a limited registration. I'm assuming that the people who occasionally post about wanting to breed probably have dogs on full registration, since part of the appeal is being able to say "AKC Registered". I give ... where does your average person get a dog w/ a full registration? BYBers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question About Breeding

Absolutely. Most BYB and all puppymill puppies are sold on full registration.

yup - that header WILL get attention around here.....
    (gives a whole new meaning to the "B" word)

.....I"m curious as to this answer too - anyone?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Absolutely. Most BYB and all puppymill puppies are sold on full registration.
    :-\ I didn't realize this! Very sad.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We bought our first lab from a reputable breeder and she did full registration. She has since changed that policy however. Our second lab came from an OK breeder (not BYB, or puppy mill but not fully reputable either as we found out in hindsight) and she sold all puppies on full. Our third lab was sold as a show prospect, so therefore it was part of our contract. All other littermates were sold limited.

So most likely if someone has a full registration puppy (and they were not a pre-approved show home family), it came from a breeder that didn't care to check the LIMITED box or a BYB or a puppy mill puppy sold at a pet store.

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Thank you for asking this question. I was really curious about it. I didn't know about the BYB/puppymills using full registration, either. I just assumed that would-be breeders were violating their agreements.

I think if you violate agreements you can pay some pretty stiff penalties especially if that is outlined in the contract.

There are ads all day long on the internet in puppy ads for $200 extra for full breeding rights for puppies. I guess the extra money paid makes them breeding quality???

I've heard that in Germany a dog has to be titled in some way before it is bred, why haven't we adopted that here?

labby is offline Senior Member

Most reputable breeders will not sell a dog on full registration to someone they don't know, without it being a co-own and they call all the shots.

Laura

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

It's sad really, that the BYB's sell on full registration. It rather dilutes the breed as a whole. I wish at the very least a labrador should have a WC to be able to breed and have registered pups. I believe in England they have to have a WC to get a Championship.

Roxy came from a BYB. Not only did he give us a full registration, he even TOLD us we could breed her and make some money on the puppies Guess that's why the females were more than the males :

I'm sure most BYB's probably don't even understand what the limited registration means which is why it was left unchecked. Plus, if they themselves are recklessly breeding dogs, why would they encourage anyone else to be responsible about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast