Overbite

Thread: Overbite

DefaultOverbite

Have any of you had any experience with a dog that has an overbite? Sadie my black lab foster was laying on the couch breathing in my face and i noticed she had a slight odor so thought i should maybe check her teeth make sure we didnt have a problem. And thats when i noticed the overbite. so bad that i can fit my index finger between her uppper and lower teeth. ALso saw a puncture on her lower gums. Not sure if she was chewing on a stick or something and it did it or if she actually bit herself. was just curious if any of you had this experience... and if so what did you do. I have a call into the rescue but they havent been calling me back like they should.

She should probably be on anitibiotics... will see what they say. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Overbite

oh and btw shes about 2-3 yrs old and was an owner surrender at the shelter. They were moving and couldnt take her.

No experience with the overbite, but if her breath is really bad; I'd have her checked to make sure she doesn't have something lodged in there. Hopefully, she is eating and drinking okay.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mybabymambo Guest

Hope she feels better. Mambo doesnt have an overbite, but has a under. I think it makes him cute

oh she eats and drinks great. shes a chow hound. but what lab isnt just surprised at how bad her overbite is. never had a dog that had one...

Mybabymambo Guest

Have any pictures?

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

Bailey has an over bite too, he used to have trouble holding a tennis ball in his mouth. And usually when he drinks his nose is in the edge of the bowl he has a hard time if the water is lower his nose gets in the way i guess. When we took him to the vet she said to keep an eye on the lower teeth when they started to come so ensure they didn't puncture the roof of his mouth. We got lucky as they seeded in front his top canines with no problems or he would have had them cut off and capped. Coleman has a little Quincy thing happening but it didn't bother his bite.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

From what I understand, most times the overbite/underbite doesn't cause problems. If you notice that it does seem to hinder the dog, then there are things the vet can do.

Mybabymambo Guest

it has cause Mambo problems, Havent you seen his pictures? He will never be top model with those goofy pictures