He's being neutered tomorrow at 7 mo of age. He's small for his age as it is. I had two friends tell me over the weekend his growth would be stunted.
What do y'all know about that?
I think your two freinds need an education. From the research I have seen there is no evidence to suggest that neutering (or spaying for that matter) stunts their growth.
My Tal is almost 6 months and I will be having him neutered about 7 months also. I am also expecting him to reach about 90 lbs. This is the case whether he would be neutered or not.
Kudos for having your dog neutered. That shows responsible ownership. And good luck and hope he is up to his normal self in no time!
Neutering at 7 mos will alter your dog's growth, but not stunt it. If neutered early he will probably end up a bit taller and lankier than if you had let him mature a bit first. He will end up looking more puppyish because he won't have gotten much in the way of sex hormones.
What Susan said. Plus neutering him before he is full grown (14-18 months) increases the chances of bone cancer among other things.
♣ Laura ♣
neuter him now.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
It's certainly not the first time I've neutered a pet. But he is the youngest animal I've ever gone. Now I'm down to the wire and more uncertain than ever.
I'll postpone it until I'm settled. I read the info on the link (thank you), and they are right - it is certainly a biased subject. The question isn't "should I or shouldn't I" since my answer has always been "absolutely". The question for me is really, "when". The information I read sure makes me reconsider waiting until he's a little older.
That should help... I think.
Since I have plans on conformation, I plan to wait if my boy (when I get him) turns 14-18 months myself. Or have every long it takes (younger than age given) if he doesn't turn out to be show quality.
I think waiting until 14-18 months is good and isn't a bad thing. You just have to work with him on his re-call and have him leashed, make sure there are no intacted females around your neighborhood at all.
Thanks. I read them all, and appreciate you sending me all of it.Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
I figure, there's less harm with waiting than going forward now. Rocket's not a wanderer (yet?), and he's not lifting his leg (yet).
My concerns are entirely in regards to his health and growth.
I'm comfortable with waiting. Moreso than doing this tomorrow and regretting it later -- if that happens.
I know my current decision isn't going to please everyone, but I have to be the one to live with it (literally).
Thank you everyone. I so appreciate all your interest and support.
Just be a good dilligent lab owner.
We decided to neuter Ender at 9 months old. He's not bench type so it's not like he had THAT much more to grow into and we missed doggy day care and other reasons... it just felt like the right time for us.