Third Seizure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Seizure

BeandMe is offline Senior Member

DefaultThird Seizure

Ben had his third seizure yesterday. It happened at around 5.30am and at first I heard him dry retching. He vomited and then stumbled and collapsed, going stiff and then the 'paddling motion'. The poor baby lost control of his bowels and bladder and made a growling sound. I tried to remain calm and do the gentle eye compression which Nancy had told me about and when he came around, gave him some honey to bring his blood sugar up. I am not sure if the vomiting brought on the seizure or if it is part of what happens when a seizure is about to occur. I have been journaling these episodes and would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience of a dog with Epilepsy and can offer advice or thoughts that would be helpful. Ben is not on medication for it at this stage.

Chrissie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear about Ben's seizure. It sounds exactly like what Theo goes through. Theo *always* has vomiting and ataxia (uncoordination) just prior to a seizure; our vet says that this is normal for the kind of seizures he has. So I have tried to learn not to worry about it, but it's hard!

The best thing is to work closely with a vet who has experience with canine epilepsy. I've also found the site www.canine-epilepsy.com to be very useful. I could tell you what our vet has told us, but I don't know if it would be relevant to Ben's case, so that makes me reluctant.

Good luck! Just remember that although it looks horrible, they are not conscious for the worst part of it. Knowing this makes it easier for me to stay calm and focused on Theo's safety while the seizure is ongoing.

hark67 is offline Senior Member

Chrissie, I am so sorry to hear that Ben is having seizures.(Nathan..I am sorry to hear about Theo too). I can't imagine how scary it must be. And how frustrating it is not knowing if and when it will happen again.

Please give your baby boys a big hug from me. Sending good thoughts your way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry. My first Lab had epilepsy and it's a horrible thing to have to go through with a beloved pet.

Laura

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. I hope you are able to come up with a solution.

brody is offline Senior Member

how often are the seizures?
    I am always terrified of the damage a long term seizure can do and tend to err on the side of meds perhaps a little faster than others would - I was at er vet one night and sat with a great dane who seized (or was doped out of it) for over 6 hours - she was terribly brain damaged at the end of it and the owner euthanized her
    the image has stayed with me forever ...
    my personal experience has been mainly with elderly dogs who have other undrelyign conditions - but I am responsible for 2 dogs in long term foster care who seize quite regularly (well one does despite being on meds; the other hasn't had a seizure since he started meds - we are talking about weaning him back and seeing what happens)
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Hi Chrissie, I have a lab who will be 7 this month. He has had epilepsy since he was about 3 years old. It is really tough at times and hard to watch when he has seizures. For the most part the seizures are under control but he will have a break through seizure about every 3-4 months. However, this weekend he broke into his food bag and ate the about 15 lbs worth. This made him sick so he lost his medications so he had 4 seizures. The best thing you can do is make sure your dog has the right amount of meds and that you are consistent in giving them to him. Its also good to know that if the dog becomes sick to his stomach and vomits for whatever reason it can effect the levels of the seizure meds in the blood and cause seizures. So, it was a late night for me on Saturday watching after my dog but he is back to normal now.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you have to experience these scary seizures.

Are you sure this is epilepsy? Some dogs seize due to glutten intollerance (cilliac disease in humans).

there is info here on this:

www.dogtorj.com

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I had a lab with epilepsy a long time ago. He started at two and died of kidney disease at 14. He didn't have seizures often...maybe twice a year so we didn't put him on medications. He didn't vomit before but he did have ataxia. He never became completely unconscious so it was hard to watch his fear of what was happening to him. I would just darken the room, get everybody else away and sit quietly with him. They only lasted a couple of minutes but it seemed like an eternity. Good luck.

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Sorry about this. The vomiting is part of the seizure.

My last lab had 2 grand mal seizures which were pretty horrible to watch. After the second one she was put on phenobarbytal (sp) and never had another one.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast