Raleigh's Weight Loss Results ...

Thread: Raleigh's Weight Loss Results ...

DefaultRaleigh's Weight Loss Results ...

We had our check-up at the vet today. We have been making a concerted effort to reduce Raleigh's weight and ...

... and Ivy lost 8 1/2 pounds. Raleigh lost 2. :P Both are since August 16, 2006 (our last weigh-in on the vet's scale). Sheesh ...

I am happy that Ivy's quite trim but, then again, she's not the one with the "issue". I am a little discouraged about Raleigh ... not quite sure what to do next. He is eating 2 cups per day of Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato, with a Tablespoon in Nupro at each serving. No table scraps, only an occasional small-size Milkbone, no plate-licking even! We've been running and playing in the woods so much! Obviously the exercise had an effect on Ivy ... what gives with Raleigh??? Perhaps he needs some personal exercise time, above and beyond the current walks.

P.S. Thyroid issues were not present that last time we had blood work (about a year ago).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Raleigh's Weight Loss Results ...

Good for you. We went to the vet last week for Oona's annual physical and she weighed 77lbs. Last March she was 86lbs. Now if someone could control my food intake. :-X olice:
    Olie

WigWag Guest

Normally I suggest more activity and adding green beans and other vegies to meals to help shed some pounds but it sounds like you are already giving him just enough food and he is getting a good amount of exercise so his metabolism is really slow. I would recommend putting him on a light food just until he loses the weight he needs to shed. You can get diet food from the vet - Hill's puts out a good one called R/D. It's not a maintenance food by any means but you can feed it for 8 - 10 weeks and he will shed those pounds. It sounds like he is doing a good job at keeping his weight the same right now so you can simply go back to what you are doing now after the weight loss.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I pm'd you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1scottie1labby
    I pm'd you.
    I just replied. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    Normally I suggest more activity and adding green beans and other vegies to meals to help shed some pounds but it sounds like you are already giving him just enough food and he is getting a good amount of exercise so his metabolism is really slow.
    I agree that his metabolism is very slow ... it has been for the last 18-24 months, along with a very gradual slow in his energy level (which could be mistaken for "maturing"). Then over the summer I noticed that his coat was getting dry. I thought he might be developing thyroid issues, so we had it tested ... nothing was out of the ordinary.

So I figured that he might just need some TLC ... food switch, better-apportioned meals, more fun and more stimulating exercise. We've really put so much effort into doing this "right" ... I really expected better results. I'm starting to get a little worried that there might be a deeper issue ... :-\ ??????