Titers

Thread: Titers

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

DefaultTiters

Can someone explain this to me? I've seen it mentioned several times but I'm not quite sure what it means. As far as I can tell it is testing to see if you dog really needs to be vaccinated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Titers

That's exactly what it is. They can run blood work to see if your dog still carries antibiodies to the diseases for which he is vaccinated. I don't know the parts per million that they should be, but they can tell if you need to vaccinate again or not.

Some people are doing this instead of just blindly vaccinating every year.

Unfortunately a lot of vets discourage this.

I've never had it done, but have thought about it.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Yup, exactly. My vet started doing this when we discovered Tucker is allergic to the distemper vac.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

Funny that this should come up. I just called my vet on Fri. to check on this. She said that they do this, but it only verifies for 2 things not 5 as the vacine is for 5 and that the rabies will still need to be given every 2 yrs. as that is the city law.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

From Merriam-Webster's online:

titer
    ti·ter
    Pronunciation: 'tI-t&r
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French titre title, proportion of gold or silver in a coin, from Old French title inscription, title
    : the strength of a solution or the concentration of a substance in solution as determined by titration

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Unfortunately a lot of vets discourage this.
    I spoke to my regular vet about this when Sami had her 1 year booster after puppy shots. She said that there was no "magic" number that meant that a dog was covered by the antibodies. Now, I have no idea whether this is correct or not ... and I haven't researched yet since we're not due for shots for another 3 years now.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

my new vet doesn't do them, but has the dogs on a 3 year cycle, where they get one vaccination a year, and each year a different one, and it cycles every 3 years....

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    my new vet doesn't do them, but has the dogs on a 3 year cycle, where they get one vaccination a year, and each year a different one, and it cycles every 3 years....
    This is what my vet does too ... so they are not all coming due at the same time on the 3rd year.

I had Titers done on Maya last year for the first time. My vet was neither pro nor con about it. She left it up to me. I did it due to alot of people warning me about overvaccinating. Alot of people in Maya's agility class do titers, as does the trainer/owner of the facility. She also handed me a printout on why Titers are better. Maya's results showed she didn't need the shots. I also gave her the 3-year rabies vaccination in 2005. I've always vaccinate all my previous dogs every year without a problem though. So titering is kind of new to me. Plus Maya has allergies (not sure if food or seasonal), so didn't want to take a chance with overvaccinating.