Just Labradors banner

OMG!!! 120 lb lab! (and he's mine!!!)

15K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  WigWag 
#1 ·
I had Skippy at the vet today for his "pre-surgery" consultation about his tail. I put him on the scale - OMG!!! He weighed 120 lbs!!!!!! I knew he had gained a little weight, but this is rediculous!!! He still doesn't look fat, but I know he needs to lose at least 20 lbs now. This might be why he no longer fits in his doghouse. Oh lah! Now they BOTH need to be on a diet, along with the people in the house. No more snacks here! I have heard people brag that their lab weighed 120 lbs and I was like -"oh yeah - right!", but here is one in living color , and he really does weigh 120 lbs!!! (I'm still in shock)

#10 ·
It MIGHT be the scales. When I first put him on it registered 85 lbs, which I KNOW was wrong. he hasn't weighed that little since he was 8 months old. So I took him off and zeroed it. He seemed to be sitting quietly in the right spot, and it said 120. He has been weighing 110, and occ. a tad more, so I wasn't extrememely surprised (just shocked) It might be that it's a few pounds off. But he really doesn't fit in his doghouse anymore, and I can't find a large one that is readily available. I bought one at TSC yesterday, thinking it looked bigger than the one we have, at least the opening was bigger, but SU says it's the same size - I have to get it out of the back of the SUV and measure. Also - even if he doen'st look fat, with surgery to both back legs, he needs to keep his weight down.

#11 ·
I know how it is...I was there myself with my last dog. He was a Swiss Mountain dog that shot up from 110 to 135. Sure that was still in the breed standard, but for him 100-110 was ideal. I could not see he gained that weight, but everyone else did. I was in denial until I saw it like you at the vet.

I can see in your picture that the dog is overweight, it's obvious to me, even from that picture.

The good news is, it is not that difficult to get them to loose it. I got my swissy down to 100 from 135, pretty easily. It is all about calories and excersie, but I did not up he excersise during that time period. Also, keep in mind the dog does not burn as much in the summer as it does in the winter. Start slow, maybe take 1/4 cup out of each meal and give it two weeks, then weigh and adjust...but please keep weighing every couple weeks or so, because losing the weight too fast is bad as well all know.

Your dog at 90-100 pounds will love you for it and you will be amazed at how he changes!

Good luck...by the way, the fda just approved (like 2 days ago) a weight loss pill for dogs, but I would go the natural way for a month or two before I tried something like that.

#13 ·
I can see in your picture that the dog is overweight, it's obvious to me, even from that picture.
Are you sure you aren't looking at the light-colored dog? I KNOW shes overweight! (just kidding ;) Skippy DOES look heavy in that picture - he always does look heavier in pictures where he is sitting down (the camera adds 10 lbs you know :D ) He obviously does need to lose weight. My dogs are "beggers" when we eat , and I must admit I always give them "just a little bit". It's actually going to be qutie hard to stop doing this. It would seem like you have complete control over how your dog eats (and of course you really do), but that doesn't make it easy. I have complete control over how I eat too, and that hasn't worked out so well for me either. But I am much more likely to try to take good care of my dogs than I am of myself . (we'll deal with that issue at another time)

G
#18 ·
Poor Skippy. Mine is a lightweight, but I know how easy it is to give in to them. Everytime I set foot in the kitchen Sami is there with that look (you know the one I mean). They enjoy food so much, it's hard not to share with them.

#20 ·
That's about what Crash weighed. He needed to lose weight too, but I didn't really know it at the time. :-[

The good thing is, you know he needs to lose it and can help him do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.