Just Labradors banner

Good thoughts for Taffy please

3K views 34 replies 33 participants last post by  Jenica 
#1 · (Edited)
I know I haven't been here much since the new board...life and work and facebook took over, although I do come here and read everyday.

But something is wrong with Taffy. She started limping last night and whined all night. We attributed it to a pulled muscle or arthritis...aggravated by all the rain...plus the whining because of that...but moreso because she hates storms and couldn't get upstairs. But this morning...she is quivering and panting/labored breathing. And she almost couldn't get back up the 4 steps from our yard back into the house. Rory is taking her to vet at 11:15. I am so worried. This came on so fast. Whatever it is. Please please good thoughts. Thanks guys.

UPDATE:

Our vet (who we love) was not in. His associate (who we dislike immensely) told Rory it was an ACL sprain or separation. I'm not sure how that happens --- Taffy does not activity other than walking and she does not even go up on the bed any more. She did no x-ray or anything. Don't know if that is normal to make this diagnosis? She prescribed Etogesic (like Rimadyl apparently) to start tomorrow (since we gave Taf 1/2 of a buffered aspirin this morning). Said if it helps, ok. If not...back for x-rays, possible surgery, etc. The panting/breathing and quivering is being attributed to pain reaction. Rory said Taffy was a touch better before leaving for the vet - assuming the aspirin gave some relief. He will watch her today and try to keep her comfortable until we can start the meds tomorrow. Thank you all. Rory was not comfortable with this vet's answers and diagnosis. But we are assuming if the aspirin gave relief, it can't hurt to try the Etogesic? Thanks again all. Will let you know how she is later.

See less See more
#29 ·
Prayers and goiod thoughts for Taffy. I also echo those who said that they would take her to your regular vet. When Tal strained his knee, the first thing they did was x-ray him. I would'n like it that they didn't. They put him on Rimadyl, and he tolerated it well. But they also cautioned me to watch him and let them know immediately if he "changed" i any way as Labby said.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

#34 ·
I'm sorry Taffy isn't feeling well. I hate to say this, because I don't know the vet at all, but since you don't care for him, there must be a reason why. If she isn't much better in a couple days, I would go back and make sure you get the vet that you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.