Easy and PAINLESS tick removal....

Thread: Easy and PAINLESS tick removal....

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

DefaultEasy and PAINLESS tick removal....

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their ugly heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc..

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Excellent! Thanks for the tip. I have been fortunate enough to not have to remove a tick, but I'm sure my luck won't last forever.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

VTEnviro is offline Senior Member

I grew up in the Lyme Disease capital of the world so we were always in tune to ticks.

The method we used was similar to the one above, except we used rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover instead.

We use Advantix on the dog regularly and still pick off ~2 ticks/week sadly enough.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

DefaultThanks for the tick tip

We don't have many ticks down in the basin where we live but definately do up in the mountains (about 20 minutes away). We have Abbey and Coco on Frontline Plus per our vet's advice. I really appreciate the tip. I sent it to my son who lives in eastern PA. He has taken numerous ticks off of their dog, kids and even himself. He got one last June and it gave him Lyme disease. He knew right away from the red rash on his chest and went to the doctor to get treated. He is fine now but he has to be extra careful. He is a Boy Scout leader and they go all over PA and the surrounding area with the boys, hiking, camping, etc. BTW - I think PA has some of the most beautiful countryside ever. Only drawback is the snow and ice!! I am truly a warm weather fan - guess that is why we live in the desert Southwest. Thanks again for sharing such good advice.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

justine is offline Senior Member

Good to know, thanks for sharing!!

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I dont have ticks around here either...maybe if we were more woodsy....I posted this on another board, and according to the snopes it isnt a true way.... but hey, never know..you could try to slippery slide the lil buggers off..

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).

Mocha is offline Senior Member

I will give it a try. We always encounter ticks even with Frontline. Tis the season! Thanks for the advice and I will let you know how it works.
    To err is human, to forgive, canine.