Please Help -- Worms?

Thread: Please Help -- Worms?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultPlease Help -- Worms?

I just cleaned up the backyard and found several stools that had what looked like white sesame seeds in them. I've often heard tape worms described as looking like rice. It doesn't look like rice to me, but more like a seed. My son just returned from a walk w/ Sami and I inspected that sample (the things I do for my dog! :P). It too had these seed like things in there. They were NOT moving. She hasn't, to my knowledge eaten anything with seeds in it ... and whatever it is has been going on for days due to the number I cleaned up in the yard.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Please Help -- Worms?

Was this fresh poop right out of her? If not, it could just be maggots. If it came right out of her and you noticed the "seeds" I'd take a sample to the vet.

Poop that sits in the yard for hours or longer will break down and attract nasty things.. .flies lay egg on it, those hatch to maggots, etc...

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Was this fresh poop right out of her? If not, it could just be maggots. If it came right out of her and you noticed the "seeds" I'd take a sample to the vet.

Poop that sits in the yard for hours or longer will break down and attract nasty things.. .flies lay egg on it, those hatch to maggots, etc...
    I hadn't thought of that ... except that I looked at a fresh one too. My son had just returned from a walk w/ Sami. It was less than an hour old and had been bagged up, so that wouldn't be maggots. I usually pick up the yard daily but have been sick for a few days and just haven't done it. I'm wondering if she's gotten into something ... or whether something has gotten into her. :P (Tapeworms are caused by ingesting fleas, right? ... it seems strange to me that I've never seen a flea. I faithfully treat her w/ Advantix because we have a major tick problem here).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablimo is offline Senior Member

Sounds like tapeworm to me. Take a sample to the vet for confirmation.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sounds like it could be worms. When Molly had tapeworms I noticed things that looked like "spaghetti" in her poop & at her butt. Sorry for being so descriptive. I would take a sample to the vet.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Thanks for the advice. I just looked at her Honest Kitchen food and it has seeds that look just like what she's passing. I'm now wondering if it's the food. I'm going to discontinue the food tomorrow and see what happens. If I still see them in a day or so, I'll take a sample to the vet. Think I'll post a separate question about the HK food and see if anyone else has noticed it. It's either that ... or tapeworms, I guess.

Thank you all. I love this board!

Merlot_1 Guest

I had a collie that contacted worms, somehow. It looked like a pile of moving spaghetti in his poop :P