Time in water

Thread: Time in water

DefaultTime in water

Hi,
    I have a 6 year old golden retriever. i live in San Diego and used to take him to the Bay everyday. He started Swimming ou about 25 yards and would follow birds for up to 23 minutes. When he comes out he isn't even winded. It scared me so i quit taking him. It is his FAVORITE thing in the world. Should i let him do this? Do retrievers Drown?

Thanks

laurie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Time in water

Should i let him do this?
    Honestly? no. As a retriever he can most likely handle swimming for that amount of time, but it is the lack of control you have while he is in the water that would concern me. He could swim out too far, get tangled in a net, anything...

I would suggest purchasing a floatable drag line. That way you can reel him back in if he ignores your recall.

I didn't know such a thing existed! I've only had him about 8 Months but he is SOOOOOOOOOOO sweet and loyal. He is a perfect pal except when he sees a Bird in the water........... then he is all focus. I have also considered some training classes. Thanks again. I am going to look up a floatable drag line!

thanks again

laurie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It depends on the dog and location. Swimming for that long is pretty standard for Jes, especially in the warmer months. Having said that, it's never in open water so worst case scenario is that I'm either in a boat or a short jump away. It sounds like Trickster's suggestion would be a safe option for your situation.

I just bought one! The bay is like a lake no waves, doesn't go out into open ocean. But still. it scares me to death. In the summer it's ok cuz i swim with him. But this is new!

Thank ya'll for the help. I had it shipped Prioity mail so we can grt back to the beach ASAP