Q4neighbor: Change in adult Lab's behavior w/adding young pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q4neighbor: Change in adult Lab's behavior w/adding young pup

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultQ4neighbor: Change in adult Lab's behavior w/adding young pup

My nearby neighbors on "Labrador Lane" have a 6 y.o. YM Lab, Bucky, which they bring to our weekly LabFests.

They were impressed by the answers and advice you gave (through me as a conduit) about their DD & SIL adopting 2 YM brother pups from a litter. Pretty consistently your advice was "don't" -- it'll usually require much more work for adequate training.

As a result, my neighbors adopted one of those pups, ("Big) Mac", now about 15 weeks old.

Previously, Bucky used their front lawn for pooping and peeing and retrieved the morning paper from it with no problem.

But now that Mac also uses the lawn for peeing & pooping, Bucky goes to their neighbors' lawns for those duties and he'll only get the paper after extreme demands. He prefers to walk around their front lawn on the sidewalk and driveway rather than across their grass.

Questions:

Why?

-- and is there anything that can be done to get him P&Ping out front again and fetching the morning paper?

I thought it was a territorial thing he was respecting and suggested they try depositing some of his poops that the pick up on other lawns and deposit them on theirs -- MAYBE that would alter his behavior and restore the old habits.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 05-06-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad to hear they took one of the pups!

How long has the pup been there? Bucky's routine has changed and he's "rebellling", IMO. It happened in my house each time another dog was added. They eventually got used to the fact that the new guy wasn't leaving and eased back into the routine.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It's his little protest - he will get over it.

I guess they have no backyard, huh? I would hate it if my neighbor's dog was out there taking a crap on their front lawn daily for the world to watch. Even less if he trotted over to my yard to do so.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. I thought I could be friends with Sharon. HK does her p7p on our front lawn. The poor neighbors have to watch that and me pouring a quart of water on her pee spot to prevent browning. Poop is picked up every evening. I don't think she has gone on a neighbors property 3 times in the 2+ year we have her. When she did those few times, it was picked up immediately.

Our neighbors don't seem to mind. The only complaint I get is that I call her back when she starts to run to them if they are outside. I make them come to our yard.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I am sorry. I thought I could be friends with Sharon. HK does her p7p on our front lawn. The poor neighbors have to watch that and me pouring a quart of water on her pee spot to prevent browning. Poop is picked up every evening. I don't think she has gone on a neighbors property 3 times in the 2+ year we have her. When she did those few times, it was picked up immediately.

Our neighbors don't seem to mind. The only complaint I get is that I call her back when she starts to run to them if they are outside. I make them come to our yard.
    Jeez - Ed, lighten up. You are not in NJ where we live asshole to elbow. We are all quite uptight.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Not sure Bob. I know Mocha and Zeus use opposite sides of the yard to do their business (well poo anyway) it's always been that way I'm not sure why. Maybe try putting the older pup on leash and make him stay in the yard to go and he'll get back into his old routien.

Thunders Mom is offline Senior Member

My yard, my dogs, my poop...if you don't like it, don't watch!

I think he is rebelling also.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How long has the pup been there?
    The 2 brothers were often there during the day when they were 6-10 weeks (or more) old.

They were away more often when DD & SIL were going to raise them together but then, after I showed my neighbors the JL comments advising against that they adopted Mac.

I think the brothers have been separated and Mac's been there permanently for the last 4 weeks, maybe a little longer.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

The fact that Bucky is walking around the yard rather than across the grass suggests avoidance of the grassy area. Since Bucky is not the one who made Mac's deposits, he cannot keep track of where they are and does not want to step in them, and so rather than risk stepping in one of Mac's land mines in order to do his own duty, he has simply chosen a different spot. If the paper is also on the grass, then that would explain why Bucky does not want to fetch the paper. My solution would be to take them out together, both on leash, and walk them around the yard for a few minutes until they poop. After a while it will become routine again and Bucky will poop in the front yard like he used to.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
    The fact that Bucky is walking around the yard rather than across the grass suggests avoidance of the grassy area. Since Bucky is not the one who made Mac's deposits, he cannot keep track of where they are and does not want to step in them, and so rather than risk stepping in one of Mac's land mines in order to do his own duty, he has simply chosen a different spot. If the paper is also on the grass, then that would explain why Bucky does not want to fetch the paper. My solution would be to take them out together, both on leash, and walk them around the yard for a few minutes until they poop. After a while it will become routine again and Bucky will poop in the front yard like he used to.
    I agree. Bauer avoids places where he has gone #1 and #2. I can see him doing the same thing if another dog was suddenly soiling his grass.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast