Viral Papilloma or Histiocytoma??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viral Papilloma or Histiocytoma??

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

QuestionViral Papilloma or Histiocytoma??

I posted a couple weeks ago about a lump on Bauer's ear. When I took him to the vet, they said it was either a viral papilloma (wart) or a histiocytoma (benign tumor). She said that if it didn't go away over the next couple of months or got worse to bring him back in for a biopsy. Neither of these are cancerous and both seem to go away on their own. From the research I have done, I think it is a histiocytoma. Does anyone have an experience with this? It has gotten bigger since the last pictures . . . here are some updated ones. It is a lot redder than it appears in the pictures.

Enough mom . . . can't you see I'm tired!
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is Bauer? The viral papillomas usually occur in dogs less than 2 years old and disappear as the immune system matures.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

bearsdad is offline Senior Member

Bear had a histiocytoma in almost the same spot a few years ago. It looked very similar. It went away after about 2 weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    How old is Bauer? The viral papillomas usually occur in dogs less than 2 years old and disappear as the immune system matures.
    He is about 15 months old, definitely falls within the range. The pictures that I found showed papillomas in and around the mouth, and described them as being white and looking like cauliflower.

Quote Originally Posted by bearsdad View Post
    Bear had a histiocytoma in almost the same spot a few years ago. It looked very similar. It went away after about 2 weeks.
    I hope it goes away soon. It is very noticable if he turns his head certain ways. I am just tired of people saying, "OMG, your dog has a growth on his head." As if I didn't notice it.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

'papillomas in and around the mouth, and described them as being white and looking like cauliflower.'

Exactly what HK had. Came and left with a $100 visit to the vet in between.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Dutch has had two histio's; one on his ear and one between his toes. They both went away on their own after a few months. He licked the one on the toe like crazy and drove me nuts with it. Both looked a lot like that.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy had a histocytoma on her toe and it went away after awhile.

Pathway is offline Junior Member

I don't post very often, but yes it does look like a histiocytoma. 3 of my girls had them a few years ago (not at the same time) Ugly little things- but they do generally go away on their own. Tara had two at the same time, one on her ear and one on her fore leg. Mystie had one on her muzzle. Bree had one on her foot. Mystie's bothered her the most- it itched and she would rub her muzzle on the carpet. Benadryl helped and twice a day I put hydrocortisone cream on them, but the less you handle them the better- they will release histamine making them itch. They can bleed and also become infected, so it is good to watch them.

Tara's ear one really got huge...I thought for sure it would leave a big scar...the good news is all the hair grew back leaving not a trace of the ugly thing behind! With all three girls, you would never know they ever had them.

Bauer is a sweet looking boy, I'm sorry you both are going through this- they do draw the attention, don't they? The good news is it should be gone in a few weeks.
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Pathway View Post
    Bauer is a sweet looking boy, I'm sorry you both are going through this- they do draw the attention, don't they? The good news is it should be gone in a few weeks.
    It is not in an easy place to scratch, so he hasn't bothered it too much. He has been laying on his back and rubbing his head on the ground; maybe it is bothering him a little. I will keep an eye on him, and be ready with the Benedryl or cream if he needs it. It does draw attention . . . Last night we were at my son's baseball game, and a little girl started petting him . . . then she saw it and went back to her mom. I heard her tell her mom, "That dog has a gross bump on his head." I can't wait for it to be gone.
    Debi and Bauer

beachkat is offline Junior Member

DefaultViral Papilloma or Histiocytoma??

Buster (15 mos. old) has one above his lip for about 3-4 weeks now. It started out like the one pictured, but now has turned black and crusty. Is this a normal part of the healing process?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast