What to do when we go on vacation

Thread: What to do when we go on vacation

DefaultWhat to do when we go on vacation

Mercedes will be 2 when we plan our vacation, Traveling from MA, to FL. Thinking about daytona. What do we do with our dog, We don't want to leave her, but know we will be out alot if we do take her even if we do find a dog friendly hotel. If we do take her we drive about 22 hours. And input on what you do.
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: What to do when we go on vacation

I've taken mine on a 16 hour car trip. She was the best of all my kids. ;D Dog friendly hotels are not that difficult to find. Check out www.dog-friendly.com and www.tripadvisor.com. If you don't want to take her, find out about a dog sitter (look here: http://www.petsit.com/index.html)
    , or ask a friend to keep her. There are petsitters near us that will keep a dog in their home ... or they'll come to yours.

I have a reciprocal agreement w/ a friend of mine. We trade of doggie duties, and that really seems to work best. She always has a blast with her best friend and it's really worry free for me.

Our 'vacations' are usually visiting family, so our pets come with us. If we have to leave them home, I'm lucky enough that my parents live nearby and are always willing to keep them for us.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Personally, if you know you are going to be out a lot, I would not take the dog. The car ride is no problem, but on the actual holiday unless you preplan a lot of dog related activities you will be very limited as to what you can and can't do.

I would opt for a pet sitter. Our dogs go to a pet sitters home when we are away and they love it there.

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

We have taken our dogs on vacation and we have had vacations without them.

I have had great experience of travelling by car with a lab. Potty stops didn't coincide with mine,so it takes a little longer. I hadn't had too much trouble finding pet friendly hotels and I always plan activities that included our dogs. It depends on what you want to do on vacation.

We have used a wonderful boarding facility on the no dog vacations and the key is to find one you are comfortable with.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I've done both/do either.

I have a kennel ("Holly Lane") which takes good care of Puff and she's been there often enough so that she know's it's temporary. She gets a large A/C'ed & heated room with its concrete fenced run (about 5 x 30 ft) next to many others. So there are other dogs to socialize with through the fence and the staff are friendly to her. When boarding there, I always prepackage each meal of her food so there'll be no change in formula or amount and always include several EXTRA packages just in case there's any delay in my return.

When I've taken Puff with me, that slows down the trip somewhat but I enjoy her company. I find a dog friendly motel in advance or sometimes locate a state park near our route to camp in. If it's the motel, I locate in advance a nearby park, state park, lake, or location where we can both get our usual morning exercise for an hour. That keeps her mellow the rest of the day. Plus every couple hours we pull into an Interstate rest stop and give both of us a chance to pee and stretch and exercize a little. Obviously, I take along her usual food but also take along "home water" for the trip to keep changes to a minimum.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

georgie is offline Senior Member

We have boarded our labs a few times but mostly we take them with us. We exercise them in the mornings & they usually take a nap in the afternoon. They can go longer then me & SU for "potty" breaks. : We take bottled water & their own food & treats. We have never had any problems & when we go to the beach....it's a 10 hour car ride. There are alot of dog friendly hotels around.

When we go somewhere out of town we hire a dog sitter to come to the house. You can usually find a responsible teenager who doesnt mind having a house for the weekend. You can ask someone who has children who babysits for them and call for dog sitting. I always allowed the girls that dog sat for us to have a friend or two over and never had a problem at all. My dogs were always happy being in theri own enviroment and I really didnt worry about them while I was gone.