Epi-Pen Instructions Tomorrow
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epi-Pen Instructions Tomorrow

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultEpi-Pen Instructions Tomorrow

Well, Zoe & I will go to Dr. Al's tomorrow to get instructions, and if I pass Zoe & I will have one for emergency cases.

He wants to instruct me how to use it and make sure I know HOW to use it.

Does anyone have one for their dogs? And is it simple to administer?

I'm sure I'll feel more secure, especially if she gets stung at night or on a long weekend.

Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Epi-Pen Instructions Tomorrow

I don't have one for my pets, but I do for my kids. If it's anything like that one, it's pretty easy to administer. Now, I haven't had to personally use it yet (hope I don't have to), but the demonstration seemed easy enough!

I have been through several dry runs with mine, but have never had to use it yet, with my slow reaction when 4 Benadryl don't help and I feel like someone is trying to choke me, we head to the Er and it or which ever one I had that is now outdated has rode along, just in case.

Don't worry they are made simple so even realy stupid people can do it. (I don't know if that is such a good idea, it is a chance to get rid...................Naw, just kidding.) :

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

They are easy to use. I am allergic to wasp stings and carry one. Had to use it once. You take off the cap put the pen to bare skin and push. I had to use it once. I get a new one the first of every year. My doc maintains a list and I got a call Tues asking which pharmacy I wanted the script called into. She does this the last business day of the year so I will pick it up this weekend. I keep my old one in Cinnamon's emergency kit as I know they are really good for 2 years and anything is better than nothing and if I was not home with my new one at least one is in the house. My previous dog, a dobie, never did figure out that toads caused her to react. It happened once or twice a year. So we got to the point as soon as we saw her we would shove benedryl down her throat and some of mom's cortisone pills. Mom has Crohns so she always has some on hand. We could treat her faster than get her to our vet he was a 1/2 hour away.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

You will do fine Linda! I am glad you are getting one to have with you at all times. It will give you a sense of security.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I've fortunately never had to use the shot on my cat, but my vet told me that the important thing was to give the shot "IC" - "in cat!".

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have one for me. It is very easy...it HAS to be easy, as it's not something you should be diddling around with when time is of the essence! They key is knowing where to give it. It is an intramuscular injection, and should not go into a vein. So, in humans, they recommend giving it in the side of the thigh. I'm guessing it's probably the same place for dogs.

Thank GOODNESS you are getting this! I'm so glad!

Hey...will you find out what dosage is used for dogs? Would you ask the hypothetical question if a human one could be used on a dog in an emergency? Or would a dog need the Epi Pen Jr.? It's something I've always wondered... ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

Very easy to use. I have one in my bag, one in the car, one in my desk at work and one at home. I've never used it on myself but had to use it on someone else at a work potluck with an improperly labeled dish. You need a big muscl so the but or thigh is a good place

georgie is offline Senior Member

They are very easy to use. I am so glad you are getting one. I think you will feel better knowing you have it in case Zoe gets bit again.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for your replies.
    Connie, I'll ask the vet.

btw, when Zoe got her injections, it was at the top of her back, where we put her frontline. She has so much fur over there tho.

Well, we'll see what he instructs today.
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast