Your dog's 'Godparent/s'
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your dog's 'Godparent/s'

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultYour dog's 'Godparent/s'

Another thread got me thinking about this. (I apologize if this has been discussed recently, I haven't seen it but I have been an infrequent visitor for a few weeks).

Recently my husband and I were talking about what would happen to Tucker should we pass away at the same time, or close together. We are fortunate in that we have a few wonderful people who enjoy watching Tuck when we go away and would likely take him. In saying that, however, we did formally ask my BIL and SIL if they would take him and they happily agreed. Have you made provisions in your wills for you dog or have you asked someone?

I guess this is not the cheeriest of subjects but I am just interested.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Your dog's 'Godparent/s'

nothing formal here yet. I asked my brother a while back if he would take Lucy and Cricket if anything happened to us..he is the only one I trust to take care of my dogs the way I want them to be cared for. He agreed..
    One of our goals for this year is to have a will and trust drawn up. So that I can will money to my brother for the care and expense..
    I would willingly take any of my family or friends doggies if something happened to them.

tuckersmom is offline Senior Member

I would willingly take any of my family or friends doggies if something happened to them.
    We are the exact same way! Hubby's mom has asked us to take care of her cockapoo and my mom has asked about her Cairn.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

I don't know who I'd want to have Sam and Bodie, although I was thinking about it just the other day. My best friend asked me to take her dog (and her children, which was an honor) if something happened to her and her husband.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I have thought about this often. I have no idea who would take them. I have often thought to put in the will to make sure a Rescue takes them NO Shelters. I worry most for Brodie.

I was just thinking about this the other day - we really need to do something formal in our wills because I'd hate to see our babies go back to the shelter (2 of our 3 come from there). I can only hope that my parents would take the babies since they are the ones in line for our kids. If we outlive our parents (they're still young - mid-40s), then one of our brothers will take the kids - haven't decided which one yet. I'm sure either of them would take Brees, but I'm not sure about the cats.

Kathryn Guest

I know if something went wrong and I was no longer here to care for my girls my mom would do her best.
    I know is something ever went wrong with my moms best friend and her husband I will take their dog Abby. I am the only other person she likes. Shes a little dog and isnt real willing to except new people in her life..

Der

DH and I are in our early 30's, but have made wills. Rogie is to go to one of my best friends, my college roommate, along with money to provide for his feeding and care. That said, I know that my parents and my in-laws would love to have him if my friend couldn't take him. I also know that my friend is the kind of person that if my parents or in-laws really needed Rogie, she would give him to them.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I got a strange feeling before boarding a plane to Hawaii this past May, so I e-mailed a couple of people with my "wishes" for the pets should something happen to us. Thankfully, nothing did, but we'd really like to get formal wills written up just in case.
    Obviously it is something better done before you need it!

Libby will go to my in-laws...they adore her, and she's nice and quiet, and well-behaved for them. She stays with them when we go out of town somewhere where the dogs can't go.

Monty will go to my good friend, who is the reason I have him in the first place. His breeder agreed that it would be a good match, and was fine with it, since she (his breeder) is located in NY and we're in CA. That way, my friend could also continue to show him, and I recently put her daughter on as a co-owner anyhow, so that she could use him for showing junior showmanship (her own juniors dog tore a cruciate ligament and is out-of-commission).

My cats (Elliott, Milton, and Oliver) will go live with my parents- my in-laws are allergic and don't really like cats whereas I grew up with them. ;D

My California desert tortoise (Isabella) will go to my friend who used to be involved with tortoise rescue and no longer has any.

And my African grey parrot (Spike) will go to another friend who Spike is absolutely in love with. She is one of the few people who Spike will allow cuddling with, besides me.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I know if something happens to my BR and SIL I will take their child and now their dog Cierra the fox hound in my siggie picture. Money would not be an issue as I could afford to support both.

Now if something happens to me I would want my parents to care for Cinnamon. Money would again not be an issue. And my will is such that my parents can stay living in my house until they die or can no longer live alone. If they were gone or couldn't care for her I would prefer my BR and family that own Cierra take her. They would gladly but they live in a townhouse and barely make ends meet.

So I have taken out life insurance well in excess of what it would take to keep her. It is to go into a trust for her care. They are also required by the trust to keep my house or a house with yard and pool setup until she is gone. As my house is paid for they could afford it as my up keep does not exceed their townhouse payment and they could sell it. They would rather the house than the townhouse.

If something happen to them my other BR would take her and love her so she is well covered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast