Hi and advice please!

Thread: Hi and advice please!

CrockettNCody is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi and advice please!

Hello! I was on these boards (but didn't post much) a year or so ago; since then, I had to make the heart wrenching decision to put my 13 year old yellow boy down, leaving me with my 3 yo yellow boy. Both of us were heartbroken, so I have acquired a black baby (male) who is 4 months old. My dream is to have 1 of each "flavor", and the 2 I already have are just a complete joy to me every day~~even on the worst days I can go outside and within minutes be laughing hysterically at these 2 goofballs. ;D

I recieved a call this afternoon about a 10 month old chocolate girl who is supposedly crate trained that is in need of a home...the couple who own her is breaking up and evidently didn't think things like "commitment" through regarding their owning a puppy either. :-\ She is supposedly a pure lab, with no bad habits. (yeah, right!!!! ) I am so torn...since they are planning on sending her to the "shelter" unless a good home is found... according to my "dream"...my chocolate baby would also be a boy and I'd experience the "new puppy" time with him too. (Geez that sounds selfish!) But my heart breaks at the thought of her going to the shelter.

Would I be insane to consider 2 "puppies" at once???? Do I just have to learn to "just say no".....???? I already told my husband I could easily become an animal hoarder when I'm old and alone. ;D Any advice is appreciated, and may I say thanks to all who post on these boards...I've learned so much from you and enjoy the pictures and stories you share!

Looking forward to chatting more,

Amy
    Mom 2 Crockett and Cody

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hi and advice please!

Personally, I think two puppies is a bad idea and two rescue puppies even worse. Where do you live? Maybe we can point you in the direction of a lab rescue for the people with the chocolate girl.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

1) I think three boys is a bad idea. I think your next one should be a girl. Sometimes the same gender can be very competitive and have trouble coexisting peacefully. Trust me.

2) Yes, I think it's insane to consider another puppy with a 4 month old. Well?? You asked! Seriously, I think I'd wait and spread them out by a couple of years. It will be much easier for you, much easier to train one at a time, etc.

Welcome to the board!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Where did the people get the Lab from? The people should first contact where they got the dog from. If it was from a reputable rescue or breeder they would want their dog back.

If that does not work, locate a Lab rescue. Rescues are usually swamped. If they can accept the dog into their program, you could offer to foster the dog until other arrangements can be made. If the dog fits your pack, you can always adopt from the rescue.

HTH

LD

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm very sorry about your loss. Maybe I'm crazy, but I wouldn't think twice about having two puppies, but I'm home all the time. It would be difficult if I were still working. Would they let you foster the chocolate girl for a few weeks to see how she fits into your home?