Reaction to sutures from neutering?

Thread: Reaction to sutures from neutering?

DefaultReaction to sutures from neutering?

Well my poor Georgie has had another scary medical ordeal. Tuesday night, he was wrestling with my boyfriend and I happened to notice a pea-sized red bump on the bottom part of his penis. Upon further inspection, I found it to be hard and somewhat sensitive. I thought it might be a bug bite and put some neosporin on it, deciding to wait until the morning to see if it improved. The next morning, it had gotten bigger and had started to turn purplish-black in one area. So, we obviously took him right to the vet. They told us to leave him there because they would have to cut it open. So, he was there all day and they called that afternoon and told us that he had had a reaction to the sutures that he had when he was neutered (they were the kind that dissolve on their own). However, he was neutered at the end of October and I find it hard to believe that it would take this long for him to have a reaction. She also said that it is "not cancerous at this point..." and I don't understand that either...why would it EVER be cancerous? She cut into it and left it open so that it could heal better, I guess. He's on pain pills and antibiotics and she said he should be fine.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? I never have and am still kind of baffled by it all...Any insight???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Reaction to sutures from neutering?

Violet had a reaction to the self-dissolving sutures after her spay. I think her rxn was about 3-4 weeks after the surgery but sounds similar... she actually had it happen at each end of the incision site where the knots had been. Some people/animals dont resorb the suture right, and react to it as a foreign body with inflammation and swelling. If left to its own, will tend to form a raised area that will drain and can actually push the suture material out and let the body heal. The purple/black could have actually been the suture itself (its usually black) but hard to say without seeing it. As a people doctor, I know that and understood what was happening and that it wasnt particularly dangerous... but when it happened to our girl, I rushed her in to the vet ;D who calmly pulled out the little suture knots and she healed up beautifully in no time.

The "not cancerous at this point" statement confuses me... perhaps your Georgie had a totally different problem?

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I have seen more than one reaction like you describe. Yes. It did take a little longer than usual, but it wasn't out of the realm of posibility. It can take quite a while (several months) for some of the absorbable sutures to dissolve.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I had a Silky with a bad reaction to dissolving sutures. His surgery was in October and I think it was January when they decided to go in again and do a 2nd laser surgery to clean the entire area. Even then it was a long recovery with a bandage and drains etc.

I'd ask lots of questions and get everything nailed down.

I have the same problem about 1/2 the time when I have surgery, (no not neutering) it seems to be somewhat common if people, must be common somewhat in dogs.