Book Recommendations

Thread: Book Recommendations

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBook Recommendations

Do any of you have book recommendations?

Either in training (But not for puppy, or at least that goes BEYOND puppy training) or understanding dogs or behavior analysis.

I have recently completed Ceasar's Way (it was a gift). I'd be interesting in other points of view as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Book Recommendations

I liked Patricia McConnell....The Other End of the Leash.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

iff the top of my head:
    Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash
    Suzanne Clothier's Bones would Rain from the Sky
    Burch and Bailey How Dogs Learn
    Karen Pryor's Don't shoot the Dog
    Pat Miller's Power of Positive Dog Training
    So your dog's not Lassie

http://www.dogwise.com has TONS of great dog books listed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I have read both Culture Clash and The Other End of the Leash. Both excellent books. I found CUlture Clash an easier read but they have both helped me alot in understanding canine behavior.

Also Labradors for Dummies. I found it a good general reference book.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

"Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson offers mainstream, scientifically sound learning principles geared specifically to dogs. Its only downside is that the tone of the writing is kind of smart a$$, but if you don't get hung up on that, it's useful.

"The Other End of the Leash" by Dr. Patricia McConnell gives a a lot of helpful information about the nature of dogs. McConnell's PhD specialized in dogs and ethology -- the branch of biology most concerned with behavior. Scientifically sound (unlike many books).

Ditto books by Karen Pryor.

I also strongly recommend that you get "Dog Owners Home Veterinary Handbook" This covers all phases of development and has a useful 44 page section on emergencies. IMO, all Labs should come with one and all Lab parents should read it and refer to it. It saves many times over its cost ($25 Amazon) in needless vet costs, needless sufferings or deaths due to NOT taking a dog to the vet when needed,
    and many hours of needless worry.

I have well over 50 "dog" books, some popular, some technical. Maybe 1/3rd to 1/2 I got when Casey's Mom (Lynn), Paola, and I were researching the claims of Battaglia, an AKC governing board member, who made claims about the effect of early (neonatal) experience on later behavior. (We found his claims groundless and completely without merit.)

"Dog books" vary ENORMOUSLY in quality and usefulness.

Many people who write dog books have no scientific background or experience and write from the perspective of their experience which may -- or may NOT -- conform with principles that are scientifically sound. There are many full blown, half blown, and partially blown NUTS writing dog books.

The degree of DVM is no guarantee.

Michael Fox, DVM, and former vet advisor for HSUS has written many scientific and popular books on dogs of which, unfortunately, I've bought and read maybe 5-7 or more. I found his earlier mainstream "scientific" books the least interesting or worthwhile and most miserable scientific books I've ever read. Among his books for the popular audience, his report of and belief in a deceased dog's spirit coming back to wake up and warn his family about a fire in their home is beyond the pale of my belief.

I've seen many other examples of authors with ostensibly "good credentials" whose books propose seemingly good methods but which have NO really empirically justified basis.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Brenda Aloff's "Canine Aggression workbook" is also a super, if expensive, read. She has a new photographic book out about dog body language - I saw the initial proofs of this, and it looked very well presented and useful.

Also expensive is Terry Ryan's Coaching People to Train their dogs (handbook for obedience instructors - I haven't read it myself, but her seminars are wonderful if you are interested in offering training for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson offers mainstream, scientifically sound learning principles geared specifically to dogs. Its only downside is that the tone of the writing is kind of smart a$$, but if you don't get hung up on that, it's useful.

I am so glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about Culture Clash.

I also agree with the others. The Other End of the Leash is a book I go back to time and time again. It reads a bit like a biology textbook in places but I have an incredible amount of respect for Dr. McConnell.

I'd also like to second The Power of Positive Dog Training....and recommend joining Pat Miller's training e-list on Yahoo groups. There's a lot to learn even if you believe in a more balanced approach to dog training than Miller.

If you happen to like biology, ethology or psychology textbooks, How Dogs Learn by Mary Burch and Jon Bailey is a really good read. I probably learned more about the history of animal behavioral science from that book than four years of college with a psych minor.

I don't like the "Dummies" format, but Dog Training For Dummies by Wendy and Jack Volhard has an incredible wealth of information. (edited with the correct title)

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

here are my favorites:
    Suzanne Clothier's Bones would Rain from the Sky
    Patricia McConnell's Other End of the Leash
    Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash
    Karon Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog
    Ian Dunbar's How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks

and i've heard/read so many great reviews about Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Dog Training and Burch and Bailey's How Dogs Learn. these two are on my to-read list.

even if i don't fully agree with 100% of everything that i've read in dog books, it's good to have the information, to learn, be able to compare, to change my mind, and even when certain things don't apply to my life with my dogs, i am inspiried by the spirit of the message, and knowing what is possible helps me to try and want to become a better dog person for my dogs and for myself.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone! As some of you mentionned there are HUNDREDS of books and it's just hard to pick one to read (or buy). having all of your input helps me!

The Other End Of the Leash and Culture Clash are two I was actually considering so I'll start with those. I agree.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky