During dog play I've noticed

Thread: During dog play I've noticed

DefaultDuring dog play I've noticed

with a couple of dogs (only two so far) that Rocket aims for their ankles, biting them there. When he's done it he's never appeared to really hurt them, but it is apparent that he is trying to get them down off their feet so he can have the upper hand (ahem, paw). Even though they are playing, this looks pretty aggressive.

One time the other dog's owner said that was something Great Danes do, where they break the other animals ankles then go in for the kill. (personally I felt like he was telling me more than he needed to)

Anyhoo, anyone else seen this before?
    Rocket's never initiated a fight with another dog and has always played very well. But, I do wonder if I should let this bother me.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: During dog play I've noticed

Yep, that how Bob and Darla initiate play. While one is standing the other will go for the ankles and put the other off balance. Its pretty neat to watch as you know that is the pack influence coming out.

Hi Mich,
    I know exactly what you are talking about. My labs dont do this, but my Moms golden is ALWAYS running up behind them and grabbing there ankles. He latch's right on and almost drags them. My Mom hates ANY KIND of rough play, so as soon as he (there golden; Hunter) starts this, in the house he go's. I personaly think it's normal puppy play. Kinda like when my brother and I were kids I would grab his leg and pull on him untill he fell

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, y'all
    I won't fret, then.

There was a pit bull at the play group I used to take Nellie to who did that and she hated it. The only way she could stop him was to run, so run she did, with all the dogs chasing her.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

It's all play until they go for the privates. Then they mean business! That's where I draw the line.

Seamus and Flynn

When Dusty and Ria would play they would go after each others ankles or legs.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

taylor is an ankle biter, but she is not at all aggressive or dominant. she ankle bites to initate play, and she has a soft mouth. her ankle biting looks very gentle to me. taylor also ankle bites when luke is belly up. luke mostly plays bitely face on his back.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Mybabymambo Guest

Mambo does this as well. He alsways grabs the legs and knocks them over so he can sit on the faces of the bigger dogs. Everyone thinks this is so funny. And the funny part the other dogs are now doing it as well.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Boo is an ankle biter but Rush is not. Sometimes Boo gets a little too intense for Rush and Rush gives a deep throaty growl and it stops for a while. Boo doesn't give up easy and is soon back at it. She can be a PITB. ;D ;D