Do you ever feel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you ever feel

like you just didn't get it with your furbaby that day?

The day started out with him doing really well then we went on the walk from hell...he pulled and I couldn't keep him focused....then tonight he was alot more than usual fixated on the cat when I took him out to potty. One good thing I guess is that there was this guy working on training his (I think--they were too far away) Lab in our parking lot. He had a whistle and I knew what he was doing and for the life of me I could not get Tal to pay attention to me. I finally put Tal in a sit stay...which to my surprise he fought tooth and nail but I did make him do it. I was determined to win that battle because I knew if I backed off he would not see me as the alpha.

I dunno I felt like I did overall more harm than good today. There have been some other things going on today unrelated to Tal....it's just been a tough day all the way around.

I just want to do what's best for him. I love this dog and am so glad he is here. I guess I feel like I let him down today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Do you ever feel

Nope. We always have a good day, even if it's a bad day training wise. We just end on a positive note and have fun

Kathryn Guest

When/if a dog was having a bad day during a trainning session when Dakota was in school she would have her daughter take that one person/dog aside and try to figure out the prob. if there wasnt any fixing it they would have the dog do something easy. A sit or down and a "Good Doggie" They would then ask that they sit out the rest of the class but stay and watch.

I have days that Dakota is just way to excited. I put her in a "sit" give her a "good girl" and then let her up with her "Okay"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't know what the heck I was doing when I was training Ivy and she's grown up to be a super girl. ;D

I think it's like kids ... the first one is a HUGE learning curve. I went into it with an ideal of what Ivy would be (LLBean doggie )... but, boy, did she have her own ideas! Anyway, in the end SHE trained ME to be intuitive, sensitive, well-organized, and confident ... not to mention that I no longer embarrass easily ;D.

In the end, I REALLY had to learn to work WITH her instead of against her ... and that is a skill that I have taken into every life situation since.

Hope tomorrow is better!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Some day's I feel that Sammi know's me better then I know her! Know's just what to do to get me frustrated. When that happen's I just go back to basic's so we alway's end on a good note. Guess that mean's Sammi rarely has a bad day, it's just me that sometimes struggles.

Rowdy is my 3rd Lab and things have went better each time after the 1st one, but even he turned out great. I am working though with a wife and step-daughter who have never raised a puppy and a year old in the mix also. I have never been unhappy with what he does but there were a few things that I wasn't happy with so about 2 weeks ago I went a bit harder on the boy, I got out the prong collar. My wife and I both have arm/wrist problems and although we use a chain collar (I hate the word choke, because I would never really choke him) he needed a bit more. funny thing is now he has improved a lot in the last couple of weeks, but he dosn't hold it against me, in fact when he gets a bit naughty I get it out and he kisses me as I put it on. I think that was the last step in him deciding I was top of the heap and Rita right behind me in the pecking order

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

Bad days are just that,bad days. When you see bad day happening, do a few easy commands,praise them and be done with training for that time. Sometimes within a half an hour you can try again. I learn more from bad training sessions, if that makes sense :P

Like Glen (Delmonico) I use prong collars when I have to. We are graduating from their use,but,on occasion I have to use them. We have had many labs in our family over the years and the only thing I know for certain,is that each lab trains differently. Try to be careful of "information overload". What works for one handler and dog might not work for you.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

you said the "day" was bad.. some of it unrelated to Tal... I bet he picked up on your tension. I can tell when Tuck does that. Also-- just thinking, when we work on training commands, i can tell tuck loves it. When she's not ready for it, or having a day not listening, we stop. And i can tell that makes her sad, she loves to practice. Maybe that is what you could do with Tal. Don't force it, but allow her to make the choice, then don't reward her, and maybe call it a night/day. If they won't work productively, that might do more harm than good, to keep going. I totally get you though, we have those days. I was almost at the END of my rope with the potty training, until coming here and getting such good advise, now i feel like we've jumped that hurdle again. Does Tal have these type of days often? Maybe alot of it was he felt mommy's tension. You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

Heh-Everyday I read here it seems someone has a similar situation - I had my first what I consider really bad situation yesterday.After I posted here about her pestering me to get movin and take her for a walk etc..I did just that,for some reason Im having really bad problems with "Stay" and this is all the sudden,I had her up to about 1 minute staying with me out of sight around the house(sometimes :)...But for some reason the past 2 days she wont do it for more than 15 secs,and I can barerly back up without her breaking...so I just went back to basics and didnt make a big deal out of it with her.

But thats not the bad part,so after a few "sit/come" routines in the yard I took her to the ponds in the woods behind the house.We get back there and doing water retreives and some short distance blind retreives in thick brush.I am slowly adding a whistle to the routine and have used a long trill for "come" and not used it for any other commands yet(due to the "stay" issue),so far it is working really good for "come" and alot better than my deep voice trying to yell.

So after about 30 minutes I start hearing some kid yelling and screaming/playing through the woods(mind Im not exactly sure where its coming from),one of the 3 kids is screaming like a whistle and Millie keeps taking interest looking in the woods at the direction of the sound,after another 10 minutes or so the kid starts up again and Millie for the first time ever bolted on me,towards the sound and through a small wetlands/swamp...I had no choice to but to pursue her ,so as Im trekking through the muck I hear that kid start screaming like a nut again.Eventually I come to a clearing and realize Im at the back of my house,and see Millie with 2 boys on the ground and the yelling like a girl kid was in an oak tree,Millie had tree-ed him ;D

I didnt know how to react when I came up on her so I just put her on the leash and went inside,I think as her senses get more fine tuned it is getting more of a challenge,so be prepared cause It was defiantely unexpected for me.Now it only took me about 5 minutes to get her as I was hauling arse,but still it scared me a bit, so its back on the leash and reading recall posts.BTW I had my whistle on a tree by the pond so it wasnt an option in the muck...

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooknHannah
    you said the "day" was bad.. some of it unrelated to Tal... I bet he picked up on your tension. I can tell when Tuck does that. Also-- just thinking, when we work on training commands, i can tell tuck loves it. When she's not ready for it, or having a day not listening, we stop. And i can tell that makes her sad, she loves to practice. Maybe that is what you could do with Tal. Don't force it, but allow her to make the choice, then don't reward her, and maybe call it a night/day. If they won't work productively, that might do more harm than good, to keep going. I totally get you though, we have those days. I was almost at the END of my rope with the potty training, until coming here and getting such good advise, now i feel like we've jumped that hurdle again. Does Tal have these type of days often? Maybe alot of it was he felt mommy's tension. You're doing a great job! Keep it up!
    Thanks to all of ya for the support. The day actually started out well even tho an acquaintenance kneed Tal..I put that episode in another thread.

Maybe I was more tense or whatever than I realived. Yesterday was the day of a funeral for a really sweet lady I knew. I am good friends with her daughter and her family. I have experienced losing someone close during this time of year so it was a hard day all the way around.

Tal must have picked up on it and maybe didn't quite know what to do himself. After the incident last night I just cried...well picture a 200 lb bodybuilder type man cryin like a baby. Tal just came over and licked my face. I think that is his way of showing affection. I just gave him a big hug.

Today seems a little better so far..funny how a good night's sleep will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast