We just got back from Tuck's walk............and...............
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We just got back from Tuck's walk............and...............

Default We just got back from Tuck's walk............and...............

She did soooooooo good!
    I took the kids all to see Charlottes Web this afternoon and Richard was here relaxing off work. So--- Tuck got to hang out with daddy today. I decided tonight she needed a walk, so... we did. We had a 10min jog and a 10 min walk (cool-down) She did great on her leash. Remember I said she liked to bite with it and play.. she didn't at all. I took some little treats along with us, to reinforce good behavior, and she did soooo good. She would "come" at the come command and she would "sit" at that command. I thought I might should teach her that, b/c we live in a gated community, and lots of kids are riding bikes, and lots of ladies walk and have other dogs. I went from a sprint to a walk and "sit" and she did it soo good. I know it's not a HUGE thing, but I am so excited about it. I am learning so much from her! Sleepin' angel She's passed out right now.
    Just had to share.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We just got back from Tuck's walk............and...............

But try to be careful in the running. Don't know how old Tuck is...she should wait till she's 2 years old, I believe, before he runs/jogs/sprints.

Someone else may be able to give better advice. Glad she's a good girl!
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

really? 2 yrs old? hmm..... she is 14 weeks old. She sortof went jogging in front of me.... we only did a slow jog for about 10 min. But i didnt think you had to wait till they were 2 yrs old. Thx for letting me know. I will deff. not do that anymore :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I hope others will reply to confirm. Zoe had to wait 2 years, and when she turned 2, she didn't want to jog or run. :
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

the akc lets dogs enter agility at 12 months of age NADAC and USDAA say 18 months. Hunt tests can be entered at 6 months as can Obedience. So I think running and sprinting should be OK if not done to excess. I would however not want to run my dog on a concrete sidewalk ever. Find a park with grass and a sidewalk and you can run on the sidewalk and have the dog run on the grass or dirt. Also soft sand can be hard on the dog to run on unless you work them up slowly. If you do lots of running and sprints then keep your dogs toenails short and trim any hair you can between the toes (at least in the summer).
    Its the same problem people have running on hard surfaces however we wear padded shoes to help lessen the damage of running on hard surfaces.

Kelly Greenwood

Most people go by the rule of 5 minutes of forced exercise for the dogs age in months. So two months equals 10 minutes.
    Olie

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yikes! never, never run with a puppy! as others have said, at 14 weeks old he is FAR too young for it. You must wait until he is at least 18 months old. For now, let him off leash to run/trot/walk/sniff at his own pace. When he is 6 months old you can start taking him on short OFF LEASH jogs but again, stick to the 5 minute rule for his own safety. 6 months = 30 minutes a day.

In case you aren't sure, the reason you should wait until the dog is 18 months old is to protect the growing joints. While the dog is still growing the joints are very soft and therefore more liable to damage. For healthy growth it is essential you take it easy.

Thank you all for helping with that. I just thought i guess that since she butt tucks and runs around in the grass outside, it would be okay. Thank you all for letting me know the ages. She seemed to love it SO MUCH! I did notice that she was so tired afterward. But, again, thought that was good. We'll just keep it to small walks is that right?
    Can they handle walks?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yep...they can certainly handle walks. It is just the forced jogging you want to avoid.

just thought i guess that since she butt tucks and runs around in the grass outside, it would be
    That is the thing with pups. They have no regard to their own physical limitations. Many pups would run themselves into the ground so therefore we have to make that choice for them. If you jog with a dog on leash they are being forced to keep up with us. They can't stop when they are tired. Also, the mechanical movements of jogging is highly unnatural for them -- off leash, a dog will run/trot/walk/sniff/stop at his or her own pace. Rarely do they walk or run continuously without stopping.

So again, you are doing the right thing by waiting until she is 18 months. If you do so hopefully you will have a fit and healthy jogging partner for many years to come.

Oh...and if you are not already, a sensible rule of thumb to follow (albeit loosely) is the '5 minute rule'; 5 minutes of exercise per month of age.

Great! Thank you for the info! I will be praying at 18mos hits, she'll still want to jog with me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast