Neutering question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering question

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeutering question

I'm calling this week to make Frankie's appointment. It's been awhile since I had a dog neutered and I have a question. I know he's going to have to wear that cone thing, but how long does he have to be on "light duty"? I don't know how I'm going to keep him from running around and playing bitey face with Tucker. Can he still get his 3 walks per day? They're short walks - about 20 minutes each.

I'm going to take the advice I got here and have it done on a Friday so I can watch him over the weekend. I might even make it a Thursday and take Friday off.

Thanks.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Neutering question

Those are all questions you can discuss with your vet.

Well obviously.

I'm asking here on a Lab forum figuring people with LABS that have been neutered would be able to give me some quick advice.

Thanks.
    :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ralphie did not need an elizabethan collar when he was neutered recently. I was told to keep him quiet for a week, on a leash even to potty in the yard. They used dissolvable stitches so we didn't need to have stitches removed. Good luck!

BaileyDawg Guest

The last time we had a dog neutered, we were told that on leash walks were fine, as being on the leash would keep him from running riot and also give him something to do rather than sit inside and go stir crazy. We couldn't keep the cone on him though, he kept managing to get it off, collar and all! I don't remember exactly, but I THINK it was about ten days between the op and when he was meant to have his stitches out... but he was his usual self and VERY difficult to keep quiet after the first couple of days. He ended up on a long line so we could keep him as quiet as possible. And he took his own stitches out the day before the appointment for the vet to do it :

Bear had the laser surgery option and he did not wear a cone. I do not recall it even being a problem for him licking etc. I still walked him - on leash. I think we kept him as quiet as we could - no jumping around, no stairs, for 3 to 4 days. and then started to introduce regular actvities again.

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

When Elias was neutered he was not given an Elizabethan collar nor did he need one. He was so sleepy for at least 24 hours after we brought him home that we didn't have to worry about keeping him settled. After a few days he was 100% back to himself and he healed fine.

Wow Eric, you had a laser surgery option? Cool! I didn't even know that was an option these days. I'm sure my vet doesn't do that. I'll ask anyway.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Sam felt bad the first evening and part of the day after, and then was back to his old self. I think we could play ball again after five days, can't remember. The stitches came out in 10 I believe. he wouldn't keep the collar on but pretty much left the stitches alone after the first day.
    Best thoughts for a quick healing.....

Frances

Trickster is offline Senior Member

After the initial 24 hours post op, you can start walking him again. As long as he is happy and willing you can continue with your 20 minute walks providing they are leash walks. After his stitches are out you can continue with all normal activities -- on leash/off leash or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast