I am fit to be tied..no pun intended
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am fit to be tied..no pun intended

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI am fit to be tied..no pun intended

Ok..so a group of teens from our church are heading out to Louisiana to help with the ongoing Katrina relief effort. I went to see them off since I know all of them and took Tal with me. I mean its just a walk across the parking lot.

I had Tal on leash and of course he was a little hyper but nowhere near as much as he used to be. He wasn't even jumping on anybody. One dad said you should use a choke collar...I did with our dog and had him trained in 15 minutes blah blah. I just said I didn't want to use one..well it doesn't hurt them. The dad then inadvertently gave Tal the signal I use with him to say its ok if you put your paws on my knees..notice I didnt say jump. Well as Tal was doing that, before I could say anything, dad kneed him in the chest. I crawled all over him. I said please do not do that and explained about the hand signal. He then tried to tell me dogs understand what you say!! I didn't argue but I did tell him he just did the doggy equivalent of insulting him because that is how dogs greet eachother.

Then the choke collar came up again and he said you'd have control of your dog that way. Just about then his son comes up and I put Tal in a sit stay. Which he did beautifully. Dad looked like he had just received egg on his face. I wanted to say now any more advice? But i behaved myself.

I know Tal isn't anywhere near what I want him to be and what I think he will be behaviorwise. With each passing week I see improvement and I try to be consistent with him and I keep working on that as well.

Should I have handled this differently?

As long as Tal continues to improve and respond using the flat collar I don't see any reason to change. It may take a little longer, but so what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I am fit to be tied..no pun intended

I wish people would just mind their own damn business!!! I can't believe he kneed him in the chest! I probably would have slapped him.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

before I could say anything, dad kneed him in the chest.
    > Poor Tal.

Just about then his son comes up and I put Tal in a sit stay. Which he did beautifully. Dad looked like he had just received egg on his face. I wanted to say now any more advice? But i behaved myself.
    :P ;D WTG TAL!!!!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I too wish people would mind their own business but some just can't seem to help themselves. While I don't see anything wrong with training collars if they are needed a flat collar will work just as well for some people. If he's behaving on it and your able to control him then ding dong need to mind his own business. I also hate it when other people dicipline my dog. My BIL can't stand Mocha for some reason and he is constantly yelling at her and putting her in her crate or putting her in a room and shutting the door for no reason when he's around. It pisses me off royally and I let him know it. He has no right to dicipline her when she's not doing anything wrong. Luckily he's not around very often.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

If someone had kneed Haylee in the chest, I would have kneed him in . . . oh, well, you get the picture. That was extremely rude and I think you handled the situation quite well.

Kathryn Guest

I dont take well to people messing with my dog. I hate to say it but I usally start screaming and yelling :-[

BaileyDawg Guest

I agree, that was well out of order for him to knee Tal like that! Bailey is like a second child, and with that in mind I would probably have become very hostile... especially if the pup was actually behaving! Some people think they know it all, and that is one of my biggest pet peeves. You handled it far better than I would have, kudos to you! And well done, Tal! You're such a good boy

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I dont take well to people messing with my dog. I hate to say it but I usally start screaming and yelling :-[
    I'm glad I'm not alone, Kathryn...

~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

You handled it brilliantly.

A few years ago I came very near to knocking someone's block off for handling Paddy a bit roughly when I wasn't looking. Oh I came within an inch of lunging out at the guy and he was a FRIEND! Not only a friend, but a JL member to boot. Boy did I see red. Heh! I get angry all over again just remembering that day.

Oh... the JL member and I quickly worked it out and carried on with the lab fest.

Seamus and Flynn

Labs4life is offline Senior Member

I use a flat palm down and the no jump command. I suppose there is nothing wrong with the knee/chest method ,I just don't use that approach. That being said ,if anyone other than SU and I tried to correct my dogs they would have found themselves in the fetal position grabbing their jewels. Advice is fine,trying to correct my dogs without my permission,death sentence.

Training is hard enough and I certainly wouldn't want strangers mucking it up.
    The Constitution is suppose to guarantee everyone the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but the Constitution does not guarantee everyone equal outcomes.
    Some people are more talented, educated, thieving and dishonest than others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast