Buddy doesn't feel very good-NEW UPDATE 1PM
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy doesn't feel very good-NEW UPDATE 1PM

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultBuddy doesn't feel very good-NEW UPDATE 1PM

1PM - Just got back from the vet. Last poop was almost orange and still mush. He was hanging out in the hall by the front door moaning so I decided enough was enough. She checked it and it said it looks like a bacterial infection. He is on Flagyl now along with the anti-diarrhea meds. She doesn't think anything is stuck. He just has a big belly ache and has made so much that he's sore. Just like us when we get the 'runs.' So we're still on rice and boiled meat or chicken along with the meds. If he's not better by Sat. morning, back we go. I can't believe what this 'gift' has cost so far. 3 nites sleep and $97!! He has to be 100% back to normal before Tuesday when I go in for my knee surgery.
    P.S. My friend in the neighborhood with the chocolate lab....... he ate an entire home-made chocolate Christmas tree, a pecan pie and a pumpkin pie while they were out shopping. He made 2 big loads and was completely fine. No trips to the vet, no medication, nothing. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

He slept all night w/o needing to go out. He seemed better this morning so I gave him some rice with a little of the chicken again. When he went outside, he made the same small amount. While it looked a TINY bit more formed than yesterday, he kept the squat position for so long I was expecting him to fall over. Nothing else came out. Eventually he gave up and came inside. I just can't believe how long this is taking. And I further can't believe how badly I want to see a large, firm, brown poop!! I just can't seem to convince myself that he doesn't have something stuck inside. A normal load is probably the only thing that is going to make ME stop worrying!!

I had a lot of people in an out on Monday. Most came with gifts for Buddy. Everyone thought it was awesome to watch him 'hold' his gift, tear off the wrapping paper, spit it aside and continue to get to his present.
    A couple of times, he must have thought he had something really great so he ran off to another part of the house with it. I was trying to make coffee, etc. and didn't watch as closely as I should have.
    Apparently, someone gave him a rawhide bone. I never would have let him run off with it, but somehow it got by me and it is nowhere to be found so I have to assume he ate it. Well, that night, he looked awful. Like a kid that ate too much candy. By yesterday morning, he needed to go out every 2 hours. He squated in several different places and would only manage to get out a small amount of mush each time. I called the vet and they said if it were stuck, he would be vomiting. I can't help but feel like it's stuck further down in the digestive process and he keeps squating in an effort to get it out. They are insisting it's ok and gave me a fairly new medication for diarrhea. It was in a syringe and all I had to do was hold it in his mouth and squirt. It hasn't worked. After another call, they suggested one immodium every 3 hours. No difference. We were up most of the night and he continued to squat all over the yard. Once the sun came up, I went out and tried to find what he made and how much. It was the same all over. A small amount of light brown mush. Called the vet again and this time they sent me home with a bottle of little white pills. I'm to give him 2 every 8 hours and make boiled chicken and rice for his meals. So far, he took the 2 pills, ate and is asleep. Hasn't made anything since 9:30 AM.
    Both my sons have been home for lunch and he hasn't attempted to get up or go into the kitchen to see if he can pick up crumbs, etc. as he normally would.
    I'm just wondering ....... am I wrong to think I'm helping him retain whatever bad stuff he did eat? Or should I assume what has come out in tiny little squirts is ok in a situation like this. I'm a worrier by nature and probably would have felt better regardless of the cost if they would have taken an xray.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Buddy doesn't feel very good

He probably just had too much junk food in one day and now his tummy is upset. If he's not throwing up and he's eating I would try the bland diet for a few days. If it dosn't clear up then I'd ask the vet to do the x-rays.

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

luke went through a similar issue with his tummy a few weeks ago, and i was worried, too. luke was squatting and squirtting often with only a little bit of liquid poo each time, and there was no vomitting. this went on for a day or two, but after we got the white pills from the vet, his poops started getting better the following day. i also gave him anti diarrhea medicine and pedialyte. luke's appetite was great during all this, and he slept a bit more than usual.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Poor Buddy! Speedy recovery.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Speedy recovery!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Eek, sorry Pat. Poor Buddy. If they have an xray machine at your vet and you wouldn't mind paying for it, I'd get one. I'm a worrywort, too.

I hope he's back to his normal self soon.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Just like humans, when you get the BIG D... he feels the urge to squat, but nothing... its normal for them to do that when they are sick with the D... Just give him lots of hugz and kisses, and just what others said above, bland diets

labby is offline Senior Member

Make sure you rest his gut for a day or two. No food, just little bits of water for 24 hours.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/Vomiting-Diarrhea.html

Laura

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Laura's right. Rest the tummy for a few days.
    I'm nursing a rough beagle gut right now and a bland diet seems to help.
    Hope Buddy is feeling better in the next day or two!

Seamus and Flynn

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Poor Buddy. I hope he feels better soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast