Destructive Chewing in Puppy - new behavior

Thread: Destructive Chewing in Puppy - new behavior

DefaultDestructive Chewing in Puppy - new behavior

Hello All,

We have a 4 month old puppy who is wonderful. I believe he gets enough excercise that is appropriate for his age (wouldn't that be 20 min at a time, right? But how many times per day???)

Anyway, this morning he woke at 7 am and we took him out and he was out for a while and then I took him out again at 9 am and then gated him off in an area of our kitchen. So, basically he was out of his crate from 7 - 9 am...

At 9 am I gated him off in an area of our kitchen. He whined a little while in there but he does that occasionally (I was around the house vacumming, getting kids dressed, etc). At 10 am (only an hour later) I peeked in there and he was chewing the door frame - and did a very good job at it, too. He has never done anything like this before - he had water, toys, etc and is used to being gated in this area.

I took him outside and he did # 2 right away (doesn't usually go at this time though).

So, anyway, do you think the reason for the chewing was that he had to go to the bathroom (remember I ignored the whining because he does that sometimes) or was he bored or had excess energy or just being a puppy?? Just trying to get feedback from others who have been there done that....

Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Destructive Chewing in Puppy - new behavior

He is teething. ;D This usually happens, give or take, between four and six months.

How to fix it? Crate. And provide plenty of appropriate chew toys. When you catch him chewing something he shouldn't (and at this age, you should not have your eyes off him when he is out of the crate), redirect by telling him "eh eh" and then providing him something else to chew.

Nylabone durables are good, as they don't seem to be able to break off hunks which could get stuck in their digestive tracts, causing blockages (been there).

Rawhides are used succesfully by some, but by and large most of us avoid them because of above-mentioned blockages.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He is just being a puppy and really, a 4 month old should NEVER be left unsupervised roaming in a room. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. Until the teething process is over, puppies will chew. Always put him in his crate if you can't watch him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

Zakk did the same thing when we tried to start letting him stay out of the kennel at night. We made sure he had plenty of toys to occupy his time but he still managed to chew the baseboard at the corner of the bar and demolish a rug :. Needless to say, he is back in the kennel a while longer.

Yup he's starting to teeth so he's going to be a chewing machine for a few months. Try a stuffed kong or even better a frozen stuffed kong it will keep his busy is good for him to chew on and will releive his sore gums because it's cold. You can also make an old washcloth and make it wet and ring it out and leave it like that and put it in the freezer or tie it in a knot and put it in the freezer. Once frozen let him chew on it for a bit then re-freeze it will feel good on his gums.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Great idea on the old wash cloth!!! I will try that when the time comes for my yellow pup. What I did with my chocolate, was made some ice chips when her teeth were really flaring up. She really liked it and she never really did any destructive chewing.

The only thing about the washcloth is you have to watch them so they don't swallow any strings that they may create. Another option (I don't remember who suggested this but its a great idea), is get the fleece paint rollers, soak them with water and freeze them.
    Olie