Let's talk about anal glands...

Thread: Let's talk about anal glands...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultLet's talk about anal glands...

Is this a bad topic for before lunch? WARNING: Don't read any further unless you have already eaten.

OK. I think Simon has something going on with his. He's not butt-scooting, but I notice a lot of butt-licking. Then he comes away with breath that would knock a buzzard off a $hit wagon, as my redneck buddies used to say. The smell is unmistakable.

So...how do you tell if they need expressing? And, if they need expressing from time to time, is that an indication that something in their diet is not agreeing with them?

I know Crash's gave him lots of trouble, and he also had constant ear infections and lick granulomas on his feet. Classic allergy symptoms (I know now, but sadly, didn't at the time). Is this where Simon is headed?

Their food has no corn, wheat or soy. But could he be allergic to one of the proteins?

Any advice? TIA

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Let's talk about anal glands...

If he is licking, chances are he probably has an infection or is headed that way!

I would feed him high fibre (pumpkin and such) for a few days to see if a firmer poop might help, if not, try having the vet express them, and if he is still licking, they may be infected. It can be caused by allergy.

lablover is offline Senior Member

Nutmeg has had problems for years with hers. And yes, she has allergies. I was taking her in every couple of months to get hers expressed. The vet wanted me to try and add more fiber to her diet by adding pumpkin. I can't remember the last time I took her in to get expressed ... it has been years. She gets a large heaping tablespoon full each night. The pumpkin is the first think she goes for when I sit the bowls down!! Make sure it is pumpkin ... not pumpkin pie mix.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd say its time to get them expressed. Before you change foods try adding a little pumpkin to his diet, glands are expresssed naturally when pooping (so technical) and you need a firmer stool to make that happen. The glands are a way to eliminate toxins from the body so there is something to be said about diets role in the whole pictur, but start simple first. From what I recall you are feeding a quality food

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Thanks you guys I'm thinking about running him down the street to the vet to have it done (well, not running. I mean driving, but we say running here in the south )

I do have a can of pumpkin here, so I'll start that tonight. Maybe I can just do that rather than trying to find another food for him. They are both on Canidae. I really like it, and they seem to do very well except for this. I was really dreading the thought of getting on the food rollercoaster about this, so pumpkin sounds like the way to go!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Oona never scooted, just the licking and the breath was a dead giveaway. It didn't stop until I quit giving her doggy biscuts. You might find a dog groomer who will express the glands cheaper than the vets office.
    Olie

Otis starts licking like crazy and that's how we know it's a problem. But only one of his doesn't empty out on his own, so he's a freak of nature. :P

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

That is so weird you had this posted. We noticed Boo was doing excessive licking on her butt area just this past weekend. Her stools are good but I'll try the pumpkin and a run to the vet to get them expressed. ewwww it is such a stinkin job. I hate that smell :P