Yuck - throwing up

Thread: Yuck - throwing up

DefaultYuck - throwing up

On Christmas morning, Indy threw a few minutes after eating his breakfast. I didn't worry about it too much because I get the impression that it happens; dogs throw up sometimes even if they're not sick (is this impression accurate). Nonetheless, I decided to fast him a little bit. I didn't give him any more breakfast that day, and didn't plan on giving him dinner (but he still got some veggies and ham when everyone else was eating Christmas dinner). He was perfectly energetic and seemed normal in every other way. Yesterday I fed him as usual and again, he was totally normal.

This morning he seems to be having a problem again. I put his food bowl down, and he started to eat. I've trained him to stop eating when I want him to (I've read it's important that that the dog listen to it's owner even when food is in front of it), so if I call him while he's eating he'll scarf down a bit bite and run to me. Well I said his name after he'd had a few bites, he ran to me, and promptly burped/vomited some of the freshly eaten kibble. Either of these events on their own wouldn't bother me, but twice in three days has me wondering if there is something I should be concerned about.

Oh, and I know that grass can cause vomiting, but he's hardly been outside the past 4-5 days because of all the rain we've gotten, so that's not the issue. Any thoughts on whether I might need to get him checked out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Yuck - throwing up

Tucker will do that sometimes if he eats too fast (which is very unusual for him, he's the slowest eater in the world!).

Hope he's OK.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Angus used to do that too when he was about the age of yours. As long as he's acting normal otherwise and poops are fine and all that, I wouldn't worry too awful much.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the responses; your experiences seem to confirm what I figured. He's being pretty lazy, but he's always pretty lazy so I don't think there's anything wrong with him.

If he's noramlly a scarfer (as most labs are) and eats really fast you may try putting a tennis ball or kong or nylabone in his bowl to slow him down a bit. That way he has to eat around the object and chew a little more. You can even spread the food out on a cookie sheet which will slow him down a lot. Mocha's thrown up numerous times before just here or there without anything really wrong. Just watch him if he gets lathargic or it becomes more frequent then get him checked out.