Advising a friend - a rant

Thread: Advising a friend - a rant

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultAdvising a friend - a rant

I have a friend who today was asking who I got to train Tal. It took all I could do to keep from laughing. He has a mix, can't remember what kind of mix, and he was wanting to get someone to train his dog. He said the dog was chewing up floors, furniture, etc.

My first question was do you crate him? No...he has the run of the place during the day. My second question was how much time do you spend with him...well not alot...got lots to do...

So after I unscrewed myself from the ceiling, I gently said well you shouldn't get someone to train your dog. You should do it yourself....what training Tal has had up until now I have done. I researched thoroughly. I also said we (meaning Tal and I) were going to obed school because he is my dog and needs to learn to take commands from me. It is also something he and I can do together that will be fun and allow the bonding process to continue.

I said as for the chewing, that first, you need to invest in a crate. And keep him in it duriung the day. I told him about dogs being den animals, blah blah blah...things all of us know and he should! I also said that since his is a puppy...that puppies chew..it is what they do to learn about their environment and they have to be taught what is ok to chew and what is not ok...I told him I have plenty of chew toys and Tal gets a new bone about once a week plus occasionally bully sticks. I also spend time with him...

I felt a little victory because I didnt just lash into him...but I was glad he asked so I think he is open toan education.. I wanted to scream out WHY DIDNT YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING THIS DOG YOU MORORN!

People see folks with dogs that behave and they do not realize it takes alot of work to consistency to help them get to that point! I guess they think these dogs have such a good disposition that they are bron knowing how to take commands! ggggrrrrr!

Ok...rant is over now. The storm abates, the sun comes out..peace reigns again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Advising a friend - a rant

I wonder what some people think when they comment on "well behaved " dogs. Do they think they come like that? Molly is an angel now (almost 4 years old) but I went through 3 remotes, pair of shoes, slippers & a purse while she was a puppy. People will comment on how well behaved Molly is & I have learned to just say thank you. Most don't know or care about the 4 obedience classes we took, getting a class for her CGC & TDI. It is alot of effort to get to the clases when you work....but boy they are well worth it in the end. We only use her crate for hunt tests now.
    Now....anyone want to take on Abby? : She may never be paroled from her crate when we are not home.
    Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job with Tal.

Thanks...I believe most folks have no clue at all why dogs are well behaved. They do not stop to think it takes time and a commitment...it doesnt just happen. It just amazes me that folks have no clue...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

hey, sadly most people just don't know...they see these images of "wonderful family friend" and think it is easy..I am thinking of so many commercials and ads with Labs just lounging like they are in a coma...LL Bean...for one. It looks soooo compellingly EASY.
    I think you did the best thing for your friend and his dog...you gave some great advice and you dispensed it with little judgement...you might be suprised at how much your friend will listen and implement some changes.
    We all start from somewhere...thanks for educating your friend...you are a good friend, Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyrock
    hey, sadly most people just don't know...they see these images of "wonderful family friend" and think it is easy..I am thinking of so many commercials and ads with Labs just lounging like they are in a coma...LL Bean...for one. It looks soooo compellingly EASY.
    I think you did the best thing for your friend and his dog...you gave some great advice and you dispensed it with little judgement...you might be suprised at how much your friend will listen and implement some changes.
    We all start from somewhere...thanks for educating your friend...you are a good friend, Guy.
    Yeah the media makes it seem soooo easy. I like the way Jean Donaldson puts it in her book...the Disney syndrom...but I really think my friend will do ok..he just got caught up like alot of folks thinking having a dog is easy. They don't realize you have to teach them just like you would a child.

lablimo is offline Senior Member

I had to laugh when I read your post -- I, too, get the same reaction from people when they see Haylee and I walking. The comment on how well behaved she is and perhaps they, too, should get a lab.

I explain to them that she really did not come this way -- that is she almost 4 now and has calmed down; but when we got her she was a very active, chewing little dog. I also explain to them that we went to training classes with her, even repeated some, once a week for about a year. Then that is when they look surprised. I tell them that yes, labs are great pets, but you have to invest the time for training and exercise.

It's funny how some people think dogs are born pre-trained and well behaved ;D.