How to do I teach her to "SOFTLY" take a treat and not bite off my hand?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do I teach her to "SOFTLY" take a treat and not bite off my hand?

DefaultHow to do I teach her to "SOFTLY" take a treat and not bite off my hand?

She doesn't mean too, she's a puppy and just needs to learn. What do you all do.. or have done.. to help with yours taking a treat or something soft from your hand?
    I try to reward her good potty behavior, so i dont' want to NOT give her the treat b/c she's grabbing it.
    I am working on saying SOFT SOFT with a treat at diff. times than reward for something else times. How would i teach this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How to do I teach her to "SOFTLY" take a treat and not bite off my hand?

We had to teach Larry the same thing. When you start to give your pup a treat, say your command word (we used "easy"), then offer the treat. When she starts to roughly snatch the treat, bop her on the end of the nose and do not reward her. By "bop", I mean simply bump her hard enough to get her attention and realize that she has done something wrong. Repeat until she realizes that she has to be gentle when getting a treat.

It shouldn't take too long for her to catch on. Just be persistent.

DefaultRe: How to do I teach her to "SOFTLY" take a treat and not bite off my hand?

THANKS!! ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,
    What we did with Grace when she started "snatching" it was hold the treat in a closed fist, at first she would be pretty rough and latch on, nibble, and eventualy lick. When she stopped is when we would give them the treat. At first with Tundra we had to put a glove on because he would "nibble" pretty hard with the pupy teeth. We would just keep saying "easy" and when they stoped all contact with our hand is when we would open it up. While we were opening up our hand, if at any point they lunged at it, or snatched it up we would start over amd close our fist up, untill they would stop again. It was really effective, and worked in just a couple days. People are amazed when they give our pups treats how they tilt there head to try and make no contact with there hand. You will get there! Good luck....

patm is offline Senior Member

I remember when we had a "puppy reunion" at our house, and how one of the people told his dog "gentle" when he gave him a treat, and how one dog almost took my hand off when I gave her a treat. My 2 were somewhere inbetween that - so we started working on "gentle". I'm not sure how I actually taught it at the time , but I know 2 things now. First - your dog will get "grabby" if you toss a lot of treats for them to catch. At least mine did. They get used to reaching out and snapping at the treats. If Skippy gets grabby, which he can do if he gets an espcecially tasty treat, I just say gentle and literally put my whole hand in his mouth with the treat.He won't bite my hand so he backs off and takes it gently. Might not work with every dog.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have been working on this lately. I think Angus' grabbiness is a result, like Pat mentioned, of tossing too many treats. I almost exclusively tossed them for a year or more in class. :-\

I start by handing the treat and saying, "GENTLE." If he grabs, I say "EH EH" and pull it away quickly. He will gladly cooperate to get the treat. He just has to be reminded almost every time. :

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I did what LarrytheLab did...only I did withold treats, or in many cases, playing retrieve or tug o war. I also rewarded good behavior, in this case, grabbing, by giving a treat, praise, extra play..you just have to time it immediately so they make the connection!

Good luck...those baby teeth are razor sharp!

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would say "easy" when Molly would try to snap it up. If she started to be too grabby I would close my hand. With 5 liitle grandkids I had to have her be gentle. They can put one cheerio in their hand & Molly will lick it off.
    I'm still working on Abby. :

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I got have 2 sharks here..careful ...they will take your hand off..

"EASY"!!! and don't release a treat until they take it nicely..

great advice if you are consistent and not lazy like me... :

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I used to hand feed Buck's meal..well only a couple handfuls and then let him eat the rest on his own.

I started off with just giving him a couple kibble at a time. I'd say EASY first and every time I felt his teeth or he got too grabby I would simply take my hand and the food away from him. He caught on after a few days what "EASY" meant.
    When he gets really excited he gets grabby but a quick reminder helps him remember his manners.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast