Until Flynn came to live with us...

Thread: Until Flynn came to live with us...

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultUntil Flynn came to live with us...

... I was never quite sold on crate training. He blew my misgivings right out of the water. He's the only one of my seven to have his own office now.

It's so helpful that he knows when he is supposed to go in (any time I go out the front door) but what's really sweet is when he goes in just because. Some nights when we're all laying about watching TV he'll just wander in there and relax. He can see us, he can hear us, the crate is only a few feet away from the main action. He always seems so peaceful when he's in there. The crate has become a main piece of furniture now.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who is still a nonbeliever.

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Until Flynn came to live with us...

I too was a nonbeliever before Nellie. LOL. The girl does behave now. She no longer needs the crate.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I was a nonbeliever when we had Shadow. She never touched anything that wasn't hers. Well along came Molly & several remotes, purse, & shoes later, I believe. Now Abby is in her crate when we are not home....another one who gets herself in trouble.
    I have a nice piece of "crate furniture" in my family room Nance. It sure beats a hole in the carpet!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Sweet!

Simon is going through an "I love being in the crate" phase right now. ??? He will often steal off upstairs and become very quiet, and when I go up I find him in Angus' crate. We have one set up for him, but he prefers to steal Angus'. Strange boy. Sweet, but strange.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Cinnamon is no longer crated when we leave but we do gate her in the great room area. But she does have a bedroom crate that she still sleeps in. The other night she ran and hid in it because I was trying to get her in the shower. I gave up and took her to the groomer.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

My love of the crate came quite late in the day. Gus was nearly five years old and Matt was eight years old. It was a last ditch effort to try and stop Gus weeing and pooing in the house at night > Worked like a charm and Matt got his own crate because he loved Gus's so much

Won't someone please feed me!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

I thought it unbelievably cruel with my first dog, a yellow lab. I suffered through an unbelievable amount of damage to personal belongings until she finally decided mass destruction didn't appeal to her any more. Next dog we started much the same way. I endured years of destruction out of this belief. Then when i started to take him to day care the world changed. He loved the crates there. voluntarily went in whenever there was a crate with an open door. I got him a crate of his own as soon as I could and it was a miracle. Today my dogs are fed in crates and often one or another will be in a crate to be near me in the kitchen but in the way, or just 'cause. Wonderful invention crates

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

I think without crates, I probably wouldn't have a dog. How did we do it growing up? Oh yeah, my grandmother was home 24/7.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

we started with a crate for Axl but eventually he became very well behaved and stays out all the time. Its funny though cuz when he is tired or afraid of something he runs in our bedroom and hides in the closet under all the clothes. That was fine when he was little but now he ends up knocking off all the clothes off the hangers.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Before doing the research I did leading up to getting Tal, it never occured to me that I would need to crate him. What made the difference to me is understanding that dogs are den animals and they actually feel safe in their crate. I hope tho that eventually I can train him so I do not have to crate him while I am away...