Dogs dying in Baltimore

Thread: Dogs dying in Baltimore

Vanis is offline Senior Member

DefaultDogs dying in Baltimore

Dogs dying in Baltimore -Lepto virus hits
    We have had a very severe case of Leptrosis (sp) break out here in Baltimore. In the city, the virus Lepto is transmitted via rat urine and feces and usually it's when the dog has walked on concrete where there are traces of these from the rats. Then the dogs will lick their paws and get infected.

On my block alone, 2 dogs have already died from it in just one week. One of the dogs, Button was taken for a walk at 2pm, no signs. When walked at 7pm he was peeing blood. Taken to the emergency animal hospital and treated, but died the next morning.

We heard about the outbreak this afternoon from that dogs owner. There are quite a few dogs on our block and she was trying let us all know. Then we heard about a dog across the street that had it also, he lasted about a week. So, we took our two Dals, Tigger and Merc to the vets, along with our next neighbor and his dog. We were all very scared/worried/concerned.

I think I was twice as scared as anyone else, as Tigger has killed two rats this week. She did not chew them or anything, just broken necks and left them alone. But I am scared for her. The rats run up and down the alley in back our house and we have two empty houses on the left side and the rats will live there.

Symptoms to watch out for - lethargy, not eating food, vomiting and diaherra. The first two would be tell tale signs for my Tigger....not eating? that would be a big red flag for me. Lethargic? I would be on the phone with the vet. Those two words are just not in her vocabulary.

Anyway, we are doing what we can to spread the word to our neighbors and hope that we don't lose any more dogs. I am hoping that anyone reading this will look into whether there have been breakouts in your area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dogs dying in Baltimore

I live in Baltimore. Thank you soooo much for the information, I hadn't heard anything about this and I'm going to let all my neighbors with dogs know as soon as I see them!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

You're welcome. I figured someone had to be in or near Baltimore. I hope your dogs steer clear of it and your neighbors!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bflolablover is offline Junior Member

My family and I just lost our 7 year old chocolate to lepto the day after Thanksgiving. We are so heartbroken. There was quite an outbreak where I live (Buffalo area). I just discovered this site and am happy to have another outlet to spread the word. Even when vaccinated, dogs are still susceptible as the vaccine often covers only 6 to 7 of the 15 different strains.

Very sorry to hear that. Very very sorry for your loss. :'(

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Oh no that is awful. I feel for all those who have lost their beloved dogs...that is so sad.

For thoe remaining, what does one do? You hate to keep them locked up as it were but what else could you do??

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bflolablover
    My family and I just lost our 7 year old chocolate to lepto the day after Thanksgiving. We are so heartbroken. There was quite an outbreak where I live (Buffalo area). I just discovered this site and am happy to have another outlet to spread the word. Even when vaccinated, dogs are still susceptible as the vaccine often covers only 6 to 7 of the 15 different strains.
    Bfalolablover did I talk to you last night? I know that their is no replacing Calgary but I told Rudy's Rescue that Maureen and Eric were the perfect people to adopt a Lab. Hopefully this will happen soon.
    Olie

Oonas Dad,

I am Maureen! Are you the one calling my references? They told me about your yellow lab named Oona! (I love the Celtic name). Any idea where Eric and I stand on adopting? I've been waiting to hear!

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bflolablover
    Oonas Dad,

I am Maureen! Are you the one calling my references? They told me about your yellow lab named Oona! (I love the Celtic name). Any idea where Eric and I stand on adopting? I've been waiting to hear!
    Yes I called and checked your references and you guys sound like the perfect home to adopt. Everybody gave you glowing reports. I'm not sure how long it will take right now they have more applicants than dogs. The one thing I always ask myself is would I trust Oona with these people, and with you I think I could.
    It's funny, the person who named Oona is named Maureen.
    keep me posted when it happens.
    Olie

Thank you so much! I'm glad I picked a rescue that is so thorough. I will certainly keep you posted. We can't wait to get a new furbaby! The extended family can't wait either. I'm getting countless calls everyday..."did you hear anything yet?"! My parents are hoping for a new granddoggie soon.