So. Calif folks - have any of you ever been to this park in Chino?

Thread: So. Calif folks - have any of you ever been to this park in Chino?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo. Calif folks - have any of you ever been to this park in Chino?

http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/parks/prado.htm

They have a dog training facility for hunting and I guess you can let the dogs run and it also has a lake they can go in. Anyone ever been to this park? Was thinking about taking the dogs over our Holiday break.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So. Calif folks - have any of you ever been to this park in Chino?

I haven't taken the dogs there, but Donna (JL member 2Labpups) takes her two girls there quite a bit. She says it's great. We did drive through it about a month ago because we were in that area on a weekend drive and I wanted to check it out. I'd love to meet you out there if you ever want to go!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I saw a neighbor up the street that works both of his labs in obedience and he mentioned the park to me. We may go next week - are you off for the XMAS break or do you have to work? If you are off, I'll let you know if we decide to go. It would be fun!
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I took Derby there when the So. Cal Lab club was having one of their training days. It's pretty big, several ponds. He had absolutely no interesting retrieving the pigeons or the ducks or the bumpers for that matter. : All he wanted to do was swim. The day we were there, it seemed like several other clubs were there, also.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

You are talking about Prado, right? I used to go up there all the time when we lived in So. Cal. I ran our lab club's hunt tests back then (LRCSC). While it's mainly used by those wanting to take their dogs out for hunting practice (Yes, LIVE ammo is ALLOWED, so you need to be aware of what you and your dog are doing at all times!!!), anyone can use the land for the $12 entry fee. Even camping is allowed (no facilities!).

You need to beware at certain times of the year as the waters can be kind of gross. Also, it's a wild bird refuge, so be aware of that as well. Starting March through October, most weekends are taken up by the various dog clubs of So. Cal doing hunt tests and practices.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Not yet, though my local lab club is going to start WC and JH training there this next year.

I know a couple of people who did WC training about 3 years ago down there, and it sounded like the water was pretty disgusting- someone's dog came down with giardia (go figure- goes with the territory, especially when dealing with ponds and wild birds), someone's dog ended up with a fish hook stuck in its foot, and the dogs all came away smelling like pond scum, but it sounded like a ton of fun regardless! I'm definitely planning on getting down there for the WC/JH training this upcoming year!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon