Good Lord, My Neighbor's New Puppy

Thread: Good Lord, My Neighbor's New Puppy

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultGood Lord, My Neighbor's New Puppy

How do you educate someone politely.

My neighbor is a wonderful man. He's helped me out tons of times. When his old boxer, Chance, died last year he talked about a replacement but didn't do anything. So I find out today he got another boxer pup.

He tells me he thinks he got a "good one, creme of the crop" because the seller said his CKC parentage goes back generations. The seller told him that AKC will register any dog, but CKC won't.

Sigh.

I told him I'm sure his new puppy will be a fine pet and protector of property but AKC had been in the business of registering dogs for almost 200 years and CKC had only recently cropped up. And I explained that in the breed standard there can be no "white" boxers, that his pup, had it been bred by someone who was breeding to AKC standard, would not have sold the pup with such claims.

He believes me because he knows that I know. I explained that I just don't get into with people like this seller. These sellers believe what they are saying, that's the sad part. Unfortunately the majority of the dog owners are not well educated.

Okay, I'll get off my rant. I'm sure Boss Hogg (the pups name) will be a fine pup for my neighbor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Good Lord, My Neighbor's New Puppy

A "white" boxer?
    Oh well. Everyone must have a jumping off point for their education. Your neighbor is in good hands with your knowledge. It would be nice to see a picture of him... I like the look of boxers.

Seamus and Flynn

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure how much of a practice it still is, but it used to be that breeders would drown white pups. I think now days they find them a good pet home

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is it pure white?not even a brown spot?usually the pure white boxers are deaf.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

the pure white boxers are deaf.
    That's exactly what I was thinking Linda. Most white dogs that aren't supposed to be white have hearing or vision problems. Have him check it out.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I first thought deafness too. And the sad part is, I see ads in the paper all the time advertising "rare white" GSD and Boxer puppies. And they charge more for them. :

Well, you're right, it just doesn't matter to the average person. I have to bite my tongue constantly. My friend at work recently told me they were looking for a second Brittany puppy. Theirs is about six months. She said she found a cute one online. It was like puppies.com or some crap like that. So I'm sitting there while she's looking up the Web site thinking, "shutup, shutup, don't throw cold water..." Finally I can't stand it anymore and say, as tactfully and carefully as I can, "Well, you know, you should just be careful about breeders you find on Web sites like this." She proceeds to assure me that this is a WONDERFUL breeder, and pulls up a photo to prove it. "Look! She lets her dogs get on her kitchen table!"

Oh yes. That is the gold standard for good breeders. One should always ask first if the puppies are allowed to sit on the kitchen table. :

I should add that this girl is extremely sharp. She's one of the brightest people I've ever met. And yet...no clue about how to get a puppy. Most people just really don't know. And what's more, they don't want any advice. :-\

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Caseys Mom Guest

White Boxers aren't rare and they can make fine pets! White pups can be registered with the AKC if both parents are AKC but being more than 1/3 white is a DQ for the conformation ring. They can still compete in other AKC venues - rather like our dudley Labs. Depending whose study you read, 10-40% of white Boxers are deaf in one or both ears and some may also have visual problems. One warning you might want to give your neighbor is that they're prone to sunburn and associated skin cancers. Other than that, their health issues are the same as regular colored Boxers.

Raian - it sounds like you did a great job of opening the door to Boxer (and dog) education with your neighbor.