Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Labs

Thread: Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Labs

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultSometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Labs

When I got Puff [YF, AKC field line (competitive breeder), 65 lbs., DOB: 8-'01] my plans for her were for her to be a therapy dog.

My first Lab, Bess, [BF, AKC bench line (competitive breeder), 55 lbs., 1967-81] had been a natural at that. She loved everyone and effortlessly gave affection (and demanded it) of anyone she met.

Puff and Bess are similar in some ways but so different in others. Bess was adopted too young (5 weeks) and never learned to play with other dogs. She ignored them. Not so Puff -- she assumes all other dogs are her friends and will want to play her favorite game in which the other dog takes the role of the greyhound while Puff plays the role of the mechanical rabbit.

But while it IS a disappointment that Puff doesn't seem suitable for therapy work, it does have a good side to it.

I was continually worried with Bess that someone might come along when she was in the car, let her out, and she would joyfully follow them.

Not so with Puff. She'll follow me but not anyone else easily. At our weekly LabFests, Puff could be considered every dog's favorite to play with. BUT if I leave the fenced in field to go to the car to get something -- or drive off to quickly get something -- Puff stops playing and just sits by the fence staring at me (or the road) until I return.

While I usually lock the car everytime I leave her in it, sometimes I don't because I intend a quick in and out.

It's really comforting to know that a stranger couldn't come along and easily take Puff away. Puff is friendly and wags her tail at people who stop to talk to her through the window but she's so fast and so skittish around strangers that it's become something I've finally come to see as an unexpected blessing.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Labs

The only other dog I've had (and she was really my son's) was a lab/golden retriever mix and while there are some similarities between her (Molly) and Sam, there are probably more differences.
    I suppose the biggest one is temperament. He is MUCH calmer than she was. MUCH more controllable, not nearly so food driven, not one to try to escape (she used to leap out of screened windows), but also not as friendly. She would lie on her back for belly rubs as long as she could find one of us to give them. Sam is more aloof.
    Molly was not nearly as friendly with strangers as Sam is, much more protective of territory she saw as hers. She countersurfed and got into the garbage at every opportunity. He does neither.
    However, both of them had the lab "zest". I remember sitting outside and watching her play in a sprinkler I had set up. I still have a vivid memory of the pure joy she exhibited while leaping around in that water and trying to bite it. The sun was shining and throwing sparkles off the water drops and she was jumping high, twisting, and having a grand time. It's a good memory to have of her.

Frances

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Labs

Paddy would go with anybody (if he feels like going at all).
    Flynn would go with anybody, anywhere, any time.
    Seamus? It's mom, dad, or our friend Phil. In that order. Otherwise he's staying put.

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think Tal would go with anyone...but he comes a runnin if I disappear.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Puff, good girl! You are Daddy's girl.

Zoe will go w/people she knows. Not w/strangers. But if she does go, she'll be looking to see if I'm behind her following.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Lab

Great story about the differences between them.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Occasionally, I miss call Reba by my first yellow lab's name, Crissy. Crissy was given to me in 1970 by my father; I was not even aware that there was a yellow version. I wish I could determine what makes me call Reba Crissy every so often. I'm sure if could remember more details, I would appreciate the differences as well as the similarities.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I wish I could determine what makes me call Reba Crissy every so often.
    That's a VERY common occurence -- ask anyone with several kids if they do the same thing.

When we're in situations very similar to ones we were in before and give similar commands to our dogs or kids, it's easy to use a name we've often used before (even if it is wrong).

My hunch is that you've called Reba "Crissy" much more in the first months of having her than later on and that after 4 years with Reba, you'll very seldom make the mistake.

Besides, most Labs honor the old adage, "You can call me anything you like except don't call me 'late for dinner'." ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sometimes we learn to really appreciate the differences in our different Lab

It's heartwarming to read that your Puff patiently waits for you when you leave her. I often wonder if Buddy would miss me if I left him somewhere. My neighbor's dad comes to visit often. He drives a van. Buddy loves that entire family and if we are outside when they pull up, he jumps in as soon as they open one of the doors. And he won't come back out when I call him either. He gets so excited, he totally ignores me. Inevitably, one of them has to walk him back to my house. I hate that!!!
    But he's so good in other ways it makes me wonder if I could ever get another dog.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

My dogs would follow anyone with food. Well, the Labs would. Trick my mutt wouldn't. If there was no food involved, none of them would go. I love how loyal they are in that respect.